Mark Forum as Read / First Unread Post

Mavric

Hope I can explain this well enough. Not a big deal just a quirk that would be nice to have fixed. I'm sure it's in the software. Sorry if it's been brought up before.

I try to look through all the forums but, for lack of time or interest, I don't read all the threads. I do a lot of looking through the forum for thread titles and number of responses. Once I've looked at the ones I want, I use the "Mark this forum as read" link. This takes away the highlight from all threads in that forum (e.g., "Husker Football").

The problem arises when I go to another forum and try to look at new posts from a different thread. The folder icon by the thread title is highlighted in red when there are new posts. However, when I go into a thread and click "Go to first unread post", it will take me (I believe) to the first post in that thread since I clicked "Mark this forum as read" in a different forum.

Perhaps it's considering the "Forum" to be "Sports" where I'm expecting it to be "Husker Football". Not a huge deal but I just thought I'd bring it up to see if someone can explain it to me or have it submitted as a fix.

Sorry, I knew it would be tough to explain. Perhaps I'm the only one who notices so it's not a big deal.

An example: I went into Husker Basketball and clicked "Mark this forum as read". Then I went into the Funny Sports Pics and .gifs thread and clicked "Go to first unread post. It took me to the Tebow picture (currently the last post in the thread) even though I hadn't viewed the thread since the Gottlieb and Alabama Tatoo post had been submitted since the last time I looked at the thread.

Maybe not worth spending a lot of time on.

Does that have anything to do with marking a forum read or not, or does that always happen?

I think it always happens. I do not believe the forum software tracks which posts you have read or not read, only threads. "Go to first unread post" should probably be "go to last post" instead. Although for me it doesn't take it quite to the last post. Kinda weird...although I think this is built-in to the Invision software, and not change-able by us, regardless.

For those having the problem, what browsers are you using (type and version)? The board does track which posts you have read, and that functionality is tied to two things. One is the email notification you receive (if you elect to be notified) of posts to threads you are following or in which you have posted - the email has a link to take you to the first unread post (unread by you, that is). Second is the icon that displays beside each topic that has unread (again, unread by you) posts - click it, and it jumps you to the first unread post.

If you mark a forum as "All Read", it affects only that forum. So, if I have unread posts in the BS forum and click Mark All Read, it doesn't affect any other forum - the Outdoor, Recipies or Politics & Religion are unaffected. And certainly, those unread posts in other forums (say, for example, Husker Football) remain unread and clicking on the Unread icon should jump you to them.

It works perfectly for me. I'm using Internet Explorer 9 and 10 (Windows 8 Preview). But I haven't tested it under other browsers. So I'm wondering if that might not be the problem.

I'm using Google Chrome, most recent version (21.0.1180.79)

The "Go to first unread post" does work sometimes - it worked fine just now in the Recruiting forum. I guess I can't be sure if it's hit and miss or has something to do with Marking forum as read. It's tough to keep track of when I've marked a forum as read and if I haven't been all the way through a thread or not. I mainly notice it on thread that have a lot of posts since I've last looked at it and I have to scroll back up quite a ways to catch up on what's being talked about.

I'll try to do some more checking and get you a better scenario. I figured it was probably a quirk in the software if anything so it's not a huge deal. At least I'm not the only one who noticed it. Thought I might be delusional. :D

Still not really sure on this but I've changed my theory somewhat. I now think it's taking me to the first post after I've opened my browser session or the last post in the thread if none have been posted since then. I haven't been using the "Mark forum as read" at all but it's still skipping over posts.

I'm still only using Chrome so maybe I'll break out the old IE or Firefox and see if it changes anything.