Position coaches are the ace recruiters

NUance

Position coaches, not head honchos, are now the ace recruiters

By Rob Cassidy, Rivals.com, Special to SI.com Posted: Wed December 12, 2012 1:55PM; Updated: Wed December 12, 2012 1:55PM

Ask four-star offensive tackle and current UCLA commit Kenny Lacy what would happen if Bruins offensive line coach Adrian Klemm were to part ways with the program, and he doesn't mince words.

"I'd seriously look around," Lacy said. "My position coach is much more important than my head coach. He's the guy I have to be around on a daily basis and have a strong relationship with."

It's the same line of thinking for uncommitted prospects. Discussing a newly hired head coach's recruiting background is fashionable. It's done in every instance at every school in the country. That's not going to change. How much it actually matters, on the other hand, already has.

LINK

Pretty good SI article. It's easy to underestimate the role of assistant coaches. The head coach is all we ever hear about in the news.