How did you come out

Guest RockyMtnSooner

Guest RockyMtnSooner

I've said it before, I don't know how good of a hire Callahan was, but you can't judge him based on this class. He didn't have much of a chance with all that happened and hopefully he'll find out that their is good talent already there and if he can coach them, they will win. (Kind of like Stoops did when he took over for Blake) Also, just because rivals and Lemming don't give these guys 4 or 5 stars doesn't mean they can't win. You may not care about OU or there recruiting, but in Stoops's first class he signed Josh Heupel (Heisman Runner-up, 0 stars), Jason White (Heisman winner, 2 stars), Teddy Lehman (2 stars, Butkus), Derrick Strait (2 stars, too many awards to list), Quentin Griffin (1 star, 4 yr. starter, 1800 yds. sr. year, 60 TDs vs. Texas alone, had to throw that in there) plus many more. This just in: Lemming is not the smartest man in the world. OU got all the players that had previously committed, but only one out of 5 that they were in on today. Good luck with your new Huskers.

I was just watching PC of Phillip Fullmer from Tenn. As he said, sometimes you get guys rated low who turn out to be great and sometimes you get guys rated really high that do not live up to the expectations. Recruiting is an interesting combination of evaluation and salesmanship. I would think that BC and co. have recruited based on what they feel some of the needs are. We have had the unique situation in that our coaches have not really had the opportunity to properly evaluate the players we already have; especially considering the new offense. I am really stoked that we did as good as we did. I think getting Murtha, and getting Nunn BACK was huge. A guy like Jackson may really step up big time in the WCO. Grixby is the interesting one for me as 5-9 seems a bit short; I picture what USC's Mike Williams did to UCLA's short corners. You just never know how it will play out; Bobby Newcomb came in as QB and turned out to be a great flanker/kick returner; maybe Grix will show more strength on "O", you just never know. Now it's time to get to work!

Im pretty satisfied BUT, you have to look at the ones that got away. I agree that in the future Callahan will probably have a bigger splash in recruiting, but if you are looking at just this year, im not sure we wouldnt have don better w/ the old staff. We lost some big ones due to the way the coaching change was handled. seriously, Im not one to lament, but if only SP wouldve kept Frank until after the bowl, which I stil think he deserved no matter what. We mightve kept closer ties with the likes of Adams, McDowell, Jakouri, Darius Walker etc etc etc. many kids drifted during the fiasco and never came back. Im not sure this class doesnt just seem better b/c of all the hype and made scrambling by Callahan.

So RMS, how did you guys do this yr with recruits? Im sure youre in the top 5 in the country?

I agree with you Red about Frank, some things need to be done or not done simply out of respect. He definitely should have lead his team in the Alamo Bowl. Very bad move on SP's part. However, what is done is done, right or wrong it is time to get ready for some football. We won't really know how good this class of Huskers is until they stap em' on. BC was interviewed on an ESPN recruiting show tonight "the crystal ball". He commented on Adams, Murtha, and Grix. It was interesting how he basically said Grix is a great guy to have on the field no matter if it is corner, rcvr, kick returner...etc. This tells me he'll be looking at guys with an open mind. He mentioned the transition to the WCO and mentioned that he recruited quarterbacks which is the most important position in the offense. But he qualified his statement by saying we have some great players here now that may be fine in the offense but he hasn't been able to properly evaluate them yet. He also talked about how he and Gruden ran the WCO where in the first year they lead the league in RUSHING and a couple of years later lead the league in total offense. Like he said the WCO is very flexible. Anyway, I think we have a solid class. I wish we would have got one more "biggie" like Coley or Hinds, but you can't look back. Let's be excited with our new Huskers and get ready to play! I can't wait! GO BIG RED! :D btw, Ok ranked 5th or 6th overall which will make beating them this year all that much sweeter!

Guest RockyMtnSooner

RedCountry, OU's class is as follows: #2 to USC in avg. stars/recruit which I prefer rather than just number of recruits

Remi Ayodle 6-3 280 4*(4*) DT

Brandon Braxton 6-7 300 3*(4*) OL

Adrian Peterson 6-2 205 5*(5*) RB

Lendy Holmes 6-2 180 4*(4*) WR/DB

Chris Patterson 6-2 220 5*(5*) LB

Alan Davis 6-2 240 3*(4*) DE

Garrett Hartley 5-9 176 3*(3*) K

Fred Strong 6-2 190 3*(3*) WR

Corey Bennett 6-3 257 2*(2*) OL/DL

Brett Bowers 6-1 186 3*(4*) DB

JD Quinn 6-3 275 3*(3*) OL

DJ Wolfe 6-0 190 4*(4*) RB

Rhett Bomar 6-4 220 5*(5*) QB

Marcus Walker 5-11 190 4*(4*) DB

Randy McAdams 6-7 300 3* (3*) OL

Cameron Schacht 6-5 275 3*(3*) OL

Quentin Chaney 6-6 205 3*(3*) WR

Chijioke Onenygetcha 6-3 210 5*(5*) DB

Normally, I'm not too concerned with recruiting, but Adrian Peterson may be the best HS tailback I've ever watched tape on and seen play in the Army All-Star Game. My favorite part about this class is Peterson, Bomar, Hartley, and Walker are all #1 at their position and all from the state of TEXAS! The last guy on the list is a JUCO transfer that will be a sophomore and added to his size he runs under a 4.4 - 40. We'll see, some will be surprises (good and bad).