300lb Kid Clothes

Irregular News for 12.14.05

Fort Worth, TX -- Every morning, Robert's 13-year-old son wakes up, puts on shorts and a T-shirt and goes to school. Even in December. He's a big kid -- more than 300 pounds -- and has outgrown most of his clothes. Robert would buy him new ones, but an accident and medical problems have kept him from working since 2004.

"He has to go out in the cold wearing that stuff," Robert said. "The money I have barely pays the bills."

So Robert wrote to the Goodfellow Fund for help. The 93-year-old fund provides gift cards to children whose parents can show need. The cards can be redeemed for shoes and clothing. Robert said he used to be a courier, a service he provided in his personal truck. But he totaled his truck in an accident, he said. In May 2004, he said, he awakened with a terrible pain in his leg. He had a staph infection, which led to three surgeries. A large part of a leg muscle was removed. His water and electricity were cut off. He receives food stamps and has gotten help from his mother.

"I'm trying to get back to work," Robert said. "But it's kind of been hard."

Robert knows it's hard on his son, who has to go without many things he'd like to have.

His son "stays in pretty good spirits, though," Robert said. "He's a good kid. A smart kid."

As he wrote in his letter, Robert just wants to give his son a few nice shirts, some pants and good pair of shoes to wear.

Something more appropriate for December.

Full Story

I don't know what's sad here, that the father has no job to pay for his kid's clothes or that he has a 300lb kid.