The Kevin Speaks!

DJR313

A refining fire for Le Kevin

BY RICH KAIPUST

WORLD-HERALD BUREAU

LINCOLN - Le Kevin Smith replayed it time and time again. It always turned out the same.

This fumble by Le Kevin Smith after his interception gave Texas Tech new life late in the Oct. 8 game in Lincoln. The Red Raiders recovered and scored four plays later to win 34-31.

The Nebraska defensive tackle intercepts quarterback Cody Hodges on a play that could have preserved a 31-27 win over Texas Tech on Oct. 8. Then he fumbles the football back, the Red Raiders score four plays later and the Huskers lose 34-31.

"I just stopped playing that play a couple weeks ago," Smith said. "I was really hard on myself after that game, but I think it was something that was needed. It was more of a reality check. I feel like I'm a leader, and a leader shouldn't make mistakes like that."

Smith had clammed up long before that fumble and his on-campus incident the day before. Until Friday, the fifth-year senior had turned down all news media requests since preseason practice in August.

But as Smith prepares to graduate today and play his final game in the Dec. 28 Alamo Bowl, he said he will leave NU as the humble person who arrived in 2001. Even if he "kind of drifted away from that" along the way, and even if he was perceived differently outside the program.

"I felt that if I just stayed on the low and I just would do what I do in practice, that would probably be best for the team this year," Smith said. "I would just talk to guys behind the scenes instead of talking in public."

Few Huskers could say they've gone through as much as Smith.

The native of Macon, Ga., blew out both knees before playing regularly. He started three seasons. Nearly left for the National Football League last winter. Made bold statements. Found trouble.

His advice to any NU underclassman is always free, but Smith sums up his own career with: "Then again, I always say, you learn best from your own mistakes."

"I just learned you can't let everything control you," Smith said. "You've got to have more control over yourself. And just because some bad things happen, you don't have to let it burden you."

Smith has focused on just playing since the mishap against Texas Tech cost the Huskers a 5-0 start and possibly an 8-3 finish. The 6-foot-2, 305-pounder has anchored the NU defensive line, counting five sacks among his 37 tackles.

"He's just been about getting the job done," NU linebacker Bo Ruud said.

There were times when Smith was more willing to talk. Before a 17-3 win over Michigan State at the Alamo Bowl two years ago, he predicted a rout. Before a 45-21 loss at Kansas State last season, he said NU planned to lay into the Wildcats with a "big stick."

No more of that stuff, Smith said, as Nebraska prepares for Michigan. This coaching staff wouldn't go for it.

But Smith said some of those past comments were meant only in a competitive way.

"You can ask anybody around me, I'm going to shoot you straight, whether it's good, bad or something you don't want to hear," Smith said. "I'm just going to tell you how it is and how I see it.

"But I don't like the image I keep hearing, that people are perceiving me as this arrogant, cocky, overconfident person, because I'm not that and I don't think I'm trying to be that. So make a change in ways."

Smith said he couldn't explain the Texas Tech weekend. About 24 hours before kickoff, he was cited for suspicion of assaulting a university parking cadet, a case that hasn't yet been resolved.

"It took me awhile to shake," Smith said. "But in talking with a lot of guys on the team, talking with coach (John) Blake - coach Blake came to my room and talked to me a couple times spiritually about how things should be going in my life - that all helped me out a lot."

Smith is glad he stuck around for his final year. He believes he made himself a better player and that his NFL stock should be higher, and it was just fun getting the Huskers back to 7-4 and a bowl game.

"I believe this year has set us back up," he said, "to where we're on the path to where we need to go."

He did have a pretty good year his senior season. It would have been kickass except for that one play. Which is pretty harsh, but those are the breaks. I hope he has an awesome bowl game to go out on a high note. He deserves credit for being a part of the team through some of its down years and helping to rebuild the program from the bottom up. Thanks Le Kevin.