I think there's some interesting ideas in there. As far as "fixing" the postal service, how about we stop paying simple mail carriers 55k/yr with insane benefits, overtime availability, and retirement pensions.

I really wish I hadn't gone to college and had decided to just deliver mail all day. No education or skills needed and you can live a very, very healthy middle-class living. It's absolutely insane.

If I didn't know any better, I would have thought you were Huskerboard's Tea Party representative after reading this. :o

I think there's some interesting ideas in there. As far as "fixing" the postal service, how about we stop paying simple mail carriers 55k/yr with insane benefits, overtime availability, and retirement pensions.

I really wish I hadn't gone to college and had decided to just deliver mail all day. No education or skills needed and you can live a very, very healthy middle-class living. It's absolutely insane.

If I didn't know any better, I would have thought you were Huskerboard's Tea Party representative after reading this. :o

Apparently everyone who leans left is in support of government waste? It's possible to be on the left side and still want to cut unnecessary government expense ya know

• Fire 1

Apparently everyone who leans left is in support of government waste? It's possible to be on the left side and still want to cut unnecessary government expense ya know

Problem is most lefties don't believe it is wasteful. LOL, just for fun I googled "tea party and usps" and this was the second result.

http://www.teaparty.org/the-secret-the-postal-service-doesnt-want-you-to-know-4844/

Is Max Liberty your real name tschu? ;)

Dammit don't lump me in with those people!

and this is perfect example why we won't break the gridlock we have in this country. You are guilty of it. I am plenty guilty of it myself. Instead of saying there is a point here and there that I can agree with them on a subject, we disassociate with them completely.

and this is perfect example why we won't break the gridlock we have in this country. You are guilty of it. I am plenty guilty of it myself. Instead of saying there is a point here and there that I can agree with them on a subject, we disassociate with them completely.

A stopped clock is right twice a day.

A stopped clock is right twice a day.

Oh, I think you can occasional be right on things more then that.

;)

Things I agree with the Tea Party on: cutting postal worker wages

Things I disagree with the Tea Party on: every single other thing. I'm not sure what your strange smug "gotcha" routine in here is supposed to be all about.

I'm happy to discuss politics, but Tea Partiers have zero interest in discussion. More reasonable conservatives (such as yourself, perhaps?) are willing to engage in thoughtful discussion to explain their viewpoints and ideologies. The Tea Party has no such interest.

Things I agree with the Tea Party on: cutting postal worker wages

Things I disagree with the Tea Party on: every single other thing. I'm not sure what your strange smug "gotcha" routine in here is supposed to be all about.

I'm happy to discuss politics, but Tea Partiers have zero interest in discussion. More reasonable conservatives (such as yourself, perhaps?) are willing to engage in thoughtful discussion to explain their viewpoints and ideologies. The Tea Party has no such interest.

Things you agreed with the Tea Party on before I posted that link: Zero. I'm not a Tea Party guy and I know there are things I don't agree with them but your response reinforced again what I just brought up. To me it looks like you are just as unwilling to engage in thoughtful discussion with them as you claim they would with you.

Things you agreed with the Tea Party on before I posted that link: Zero. I'm not a Tea Party guy and I know there are things I don't agree with them but your response reinforced again what I just brought up. To me it looks like you are just as unwilling to engage in thoughtful discussion with them as you claim they would with you.

Hint: When someone such as yourself instead of trying to engage in thoughtful discussion instead tries to enter a conversation with a "Tea Party - GOTCHA!" type of comment, there is literally no good place that the ensuing discussion can go. It's a lame argumentative tactic and I can go over fallacies you're committing if you want. I'm certainly willing to discuss things with you if that's what you're here for, but it doesn't appear your motive.

Another reason why I hate partisan politics: We were discussing a very pointed and specific topic in here - postal banking and the postal service. HSKR decides to instead make this a discussion about the Tea Party. We seemingly cannot discuss issues without bringing up other perceived partisan issues and party finger-pointing nonsense. I think discussing right vs. left is fine if that's what the conversation's entire topic is. But every time we turn a discussion about the merits of a specific issue or scenario into a partisan political debate, we all lose.

tschu first said

"Things I agree with the Tea Party on: cutting postal worker wages

Things I disagree with the Tea Party on: every single other thing."

followed by

"I'm sure there are a few things that I agree with the Tea Party on."

We better stop now or you may be a full fledged Tea Party member by the end of the month.

I probably would have had more respect for your original post if it actually had anything to do with the any of the 10 topics discussed in the article. Instead you are the one who sidetracked it into a they get paid too much, why did I go to college, life isn't fair, I want mine, bla bla bla discussion. There is nothing mentioned in there about reducing wages or benefits.

So don't lecture me about sidetracking the discussion! I better add an ;) just so you don't think I am mad at you. At least I didn't bring up abortion.

Since neither one of us has actually addressed the original article, I'll go first. The first thought I had after reading it was "What happens to those private sector jobs if all of this was enacted?" Those evil banks, they steal all their customers money through interest and fines but at the same time they are paying a lot of middle class wages. So save the postal workers jobs at the cost of private sector jobs? Actually yea, I could see anyone who reads Salon agreeing with that.

Have a great rest of your weekend tschu.

Since neither one of us has actually addressed the original article, I'll go first. The first thought I had after reading it was "What happens to those private sector jobs if all of this was enacted?" Those evil banks, they steal all their customers money through interest and fines but at the same time they are paying a lot of middle class wages. So save the postal workers jobs at the cost of private sector jobs? Actually yea, I could see anyone who reads Salon agreeing with that.

did you read it? what private sector jobs are being threatened? maybe those of predatory banking? how many middles class wages are they paying? and i guess we should not even consider the net effect of those banks.

but those would still have a place. really, what private sector jobs are threatened by this? seems like postal banking would address those that have no access to banking or fall in the gap of not having access to a full fledged bank, but have good enough credit and means that they should not suffer the exorbitant interest rates of alternative banks.

but i guess you saw that this article was posted on salon, so that was enough for you.

• Fire 1