BP Exec Who Led Cleanup Settles on Charges of Insider Trading

SEC regulators say Keith A. Seilhan, 47, a 20-year veteran of BP plc, sold his family's $1 million portfolio of BP securities after learning that the public estimates of the extent of the Gulf of Mexico spill were grossly underestimated. The regulators say the sale of the stock and options saved Seilhan from more than $100,000 in losses.

http://www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way/2014/04/17/304176960/bp-exec-who-led-cleanup-settles-on-charges-of-insider-trading

Yeah this is peanuts I agree. But insider trading is super-common and there's a reasonable amount of gray area. A huge number of execs will sell just enough to not get caught or time it with something else so it doesn't look obvious, but we all know what they're really doing. Sadly insider trading, front-running, and other BS is how a huge amount of money gets made by sh**ty people who work in business and finance. A little bit here, a little bit there and it has to add up.

To be fair, $100K is really peanuts in comparison so what some of the REALLY wealthy people are making off of insider trading.

Agreed. I think this one sticks out primarily because of how pissed I was at the obviously phony BP spill estimates . . .

Ohh yeah. It's like watching ridiculous valuations at IPOs and then seeing the immediate mass sell-offs from those who were allowed to get "in" before the IPO.