Notes from B1G media day

huKSer

Somebody doesn't know the difference between singular and plural

When you first see a stat sheet after a game, what’s the first number you look at?

Urban Meyer, Ohio State:Rushing yards, passing yards, turnovers, net punt. I always want to see how Braxton (Miller) did, his completion percentage. Even at halftime, I always ask for it.”

And somebody else does

Bo Pelini, Nebraska: “Usually time of possession.. . .

Killing with kindness in Lincoln

Not much fazes Michigan State’s Shilique Calhoun, who last year was voted the Big Ten’s defensive lineman of the year.

But the 6-foot-5, 256-pounder, who is New Jersey-tough, admits one thing is in his head — the Sea of Red at Nebraska’s Memorial Stadium, even after MSU defeated the Huskers 41-28.

“Nebraska fans are like no other,’’ Calhoun said. “It is hard to hate Nebraska, especially when they are cheering for you.

“You walk in and their fans say, ‘Hey, give us a good game today.’ I looked up and said, ‘What?’ It’s weird, but I love it. I hate it, though, too, because I love it when fans boo me. That gives me extra energy to show you what I can do.’’

Calhoun said he giggled at how the younger players on Michigan State’s roster reacted to “Nebraska Nice’’ after the Spartans played hated rival Michigan two weeks earlier.

“The freshmen are going, ‘What’s happening? These guys are cheering us,’ ’’ Calhoun said. “Most places, you get abused.’’

http://www.omaha.com/huskers/a-big-ten-smorgasbord-for-the-hungry-masses/article_a462d60e-1ac3-11e4-9e0b-001a4bcf6878.html