Husker Recruit Michael Decker of Omaha North Excels On and Off the Field

Mavric

Decker will be the first North player to sign with Nebraska since receiver Niles Paul in 2007. He’ll be NU’s first offensive line recruit from the Metro Conference since D.J. Jones (Central) and Ricky Henry (Burke) in 2006.

Decker got there by being a three-year starter for the Vikings and a two-year World-Herald All-Nebraska pick, and by helping North to three straight Class A finals and two state championships.
But he won added respect for being so much more.
He’s kept his grade average around 3.75 despite taking some of the toughest courses at North, and he recently was honored as the top scholar-athlete for the 2014 football season by the Greater Omaha Sports Committee.
His father, Chris, is a Lucas Diamond Professor and department chairman in the UNO College of Business Administration.
“My dad really made sure I wasn’t one of those guys that thought about football the whole time, and I’d never been like that,” Michael Decker said. “He’d never been a drill sergeant about it or anything, but just told me what I needed to do.”
Decker also works in a peer tutoring program at North, helping some freshman student-athletes focus on doing the right things. Outside of school, Decker is active in mission work for his church, something Martin said previously had limited his time for summer football camps.
“He has a big heart and wants to help everybody,” North Principal Gene Haynes said. “He comes from a great family, and I have been very impressed with his position as a student-athlete and how he carries himself. It’s not just all about football.”

OWH

Some of the best players on the field in this program were some of the smartest guys off the field. I don't think it's a coincidence. I always respected that about Nebraska. The level of success we were able to achieve while maintaining academic success. Guys like Zatechka, Alberts, or Wistrom. Many more from that era, and a lot more from even before then. Some of the best players in this programs history were really smart guys. I always enjoy listening to some of those older players talk. Really well spoken down to earth people. Maybe Decker is another one of these kind of guys.

Some of the best players on the field in this program were some of the smartest guys off the field. I don't think it's a coincidence. I always respected that about Nebraska. The level of success we were able to achieve while maintaining academic success. Guys like Zatechka, Alberts, or Wistrom. Many more from that era, and a lot more from even before then. Some of the best players in this programs history were really smart guys. I always enjoy listening to some of those older players talk. Really well spoken down to earth people. Maybe Decker is another one of these kind of guys.

Good thoughts......how about Mike Brown? guy was all over the field and the classroom

http://www.huskers.com/ViewArticle.dbml?ATCLID=639939

• Three-Time GTE/CoSIDA Academic All-America Nominee (1997, 1998, 1999)
  • Three-Time First-Team Academic All-Big 12 (1997, 1998, 1999)
  • 1998 School Position (DB) Record with 102 Tackles
  • Two-Time Second-Team All-Big 12 (Coaches, 1997, 1998)
  • Four-Time Big 12 Commissioner's Fall Academic Honor Roll (1996, 1997, 1998, 1999)
  • Fire 1