Eric Crouch talks Riley, Huskers, HOF on TBL

http://www.omaha.com/huskers/tbl-eric-crouch-talks-hall-of-fame-mike-riley-tommy/article_3dc5e99e-0a47-11e5-b760-aba0832464f3.html

One of the most exciting players that I watched growing up.

The Nebraska stuff starts several minutes into the interview (I think about 7 or 8).

Good to hear the positivity. Of course it's easy this offseason, but let's keep breaking down those perceived barriers -- if any are left -- between the team and the former players, fanbase, media, etc.

• Fire 2

I won't derail the thread talking about the barriers that were created. Some of those feelings still linger I'm sure, hopefully not too much.

I see it as just another obstacle this staff will have to overcome.

I think we've got the right guys at the right time.

Overcome it is exactly what they'll do. Bringing peace and calm to the situation immediately, almost being the polar opposite of the endless controversy that seemed to surround the team in recent years. A structured environment, a coach with a clear plan and the knowledge to execute it. Also a guy that has been around long enough to spot any festering negativity in his team, the fan base, or the former players, and he knows how to calm the waters.

Simply speaking to people like they are your equals. Treating people the right way instead of creating rifts with fans, media, bosses, referees, other coaches, and players.

I already like the way he's approached former coaches immediately, this staff involves them in the process already. I heard an interview with Charlie McBride in which he stated the former staff never once reached out to him.

Former players have been in contact with the new staff.

These things in themselves should make the fans feel like we are in good hands. Then you see the guy go out and get his two QB's almost immediately. We've got a former NFL QB coach and an NFL TE/RB coach on the staff. He sets up satellite camps to reach recruits that cannot reach Nebraska. These guys embrace the advantages of this program instead of complaining and creating disadvantages. I could go on and on......and we've only just begun with these guys.

I can't wait to see how this new approach affects the product on the field.

• Fire 3

I won't derail the thread talking about the barriers that were created. Some of those feelings still linger I'm sure, hopefully not too much.

I see it as just another obstacle this staff will have to overcome.

I think we've got the right guys at the right time.

Overcome it is exactly what they'll do. Bringing peace and calm to the situation immediately, almost being the polar opposite of the endless controversy that seemed to surround the team in recent years. A structured environment, a coach with a clear plan and the knowledge to execute it. Also a guy that has been around long enough to spot any festering negativity in his team, the fan base, or the former players, and he knows how to calm the waters.

Simply speaking to people like they are your equals. Treating people the right way instead of creating rifts with fans, media, bosses, referees, other coaches, and players.

I already like the way he's approached former coaches immediately, this staff involves them in the process already. I heard an interview with Charlie McBride in which he stated the former staff never once reached out to him.

Former players have been in contact with the new staff.

These things in themselves should make the fans feel like we are in good hands. Then you see the guy go out and get his two QB's almost immediately. We've got a former NFL QB coach and an NFL TE/RB coach on the staff. He sets up satellite camps to reach recruits that cannot reach Nebraska. These guys embrace the advantages of this program instead of complaining and creating disadvantages. I could go on and on......and we've only just begun with these guys.

I can't wait to see how this new approach affects the product on the field.

First off, I think you're spot on. The attitude and professionalism that Riley bring to the table are heads and shoulders above the previous administration. Crouch and former players and coaches see that.

Now before anyone jumps on the "stop digging up the past" rant that is popular on this board, it's important to note that reaching out to the old staff doesn't mean they're trying to relive the glory days. It means that the current staff is aware of the tradition and that tradition was built by smart people. McBride might not have the chops to defend in the new era of offense, but it doesn't mean that his years of experience as a national championship contender is worthless. The sign of a good CEO is a clear crystal ball and being able to look at past trends to find what works and what doesn't. I see it as more of a duty to reach out to the past to find what works for the future.

Also, respect for your elders is one of the signatures of nice people. We are Nebraska Nice, right?

• Fire 2