Running Game - It is Subtle Differences that Make it work or not

ajt1970

In the running game there are so many subtle differences to each play. The run blocking schemes, etc. For instance, most fans probably see one run up the middle as the same as the next. But it's not. Isolation plays are different than inside zone blocking, which is different to trap plays, counters, etc. So when someone like myself says it is HOW they are running the ball, I am saying that based on what I am seeing, this coaching staff does not have what it takes to understand and implement the SUBTLE DIFFERENCES in each play to 1) call the right play, 2) have an audible sytem in place to check out of dead running plays and into good running plays based on the defensive front at the line of scrimmage just prior to snap, 3) be able to make adjustments as the game goes on to collaborate with the coaching staff to figure out what running plays will work and what won't, to adjust on the fly during the heat of a game. To do all this you must be TECHNICIANS of the running game, not just casual dabblers in it, which is what Riley and Langsdorf do....dabble in it but are definitely not true technicians.

It's one thing to run it up the gut on a simple inside zone and go nowhere and say "see, I run the ball" It's another to be an expert technician and run it up the middle (or outside) and be effective and creative and do it right.