Maybe, just maybe....

I blame all of them. The players have lost some games due to execution. The coaches lost the last game with a brain dead game plan. Neither group seems to be able to get out of their own way to win when given the opportunity.

The only reason I can come up with for the passing at Purdue, is they know Armstrong won't play against Michigan State and they know we won't be able to run against them. So they thought the could use the game to practice with Fife. Not a good game plan at all.

But some of our losses have been due to players shooting themselves in the foot with penalties and bad play.

When the coaches and players both come together you get last Saturday. Horrible game plan, five turnovers, poor play, beat by a bad team.

The running game wasn't producing and Newby got hurt. Our O-line isn't playing well. If you're the coaches you probably throw it because you have more trust in the QBs and WRs than anybody else on the team. It's a mess though, I agree.

Our running backs were averaging almost 5 yards a carry, and Fyfe had thrown at least 24 passes before Newby got injured.

I would not be surprised if one calculated the 'stars' of the 2 deep chart that played against Purdue yesterday, you would find an 'average of about 1.5 stars per player. I would assume you would assign a zero (0) stars for all walk on players whether or not they have been recently awarded scholarships by the team.

I doubt we have even 2 five star players on the team and probably less than 5 four star players playing considerable minutes.

One might reasonably also weigh positions differently, perhaps, such as deducting points if we are playing non "4 star or better' guys in key places such as QB, WR, RB and tackle spots. You can get by arguably with 3 star guys or so at the line positions if they have the size and are red shirt juiniors with plenty of time to develop and some good experience playing late in games while developing their talents and strength. Two star quality TEs and FBs are usable but to win championships you will need 4 star or better across the board (two deep) with your third string being solid 3 star quality players. You can fill in with some walk ons on special teams and scout team and in the 4th quarter of the domination games but you can't win at a national high level without the requisite talent!

Everyone is losing sight and is just not accepting the facts: Nebraska is a mediocre or less program and has been for years with very low average level overall talent. How many of our players that started or played over half the minutes of the game against Purdue could start for Ohio State? I don't think we have any! How many would make their second string? I don't think any! How many would make third string? Perhaps two or three.

I don't think we have more than a couple that could start for Wisconsin or Michigan or Michigan State or perhaps a number of other Big Ten teams. We could find 5 or 6 starters from each of the following teams - Minne, Illinois, and Purdue. I believe we could find 15 starters on Penn State, Wisconsin, and better.

Be real: we are not very good. I am doubtful Tom Osborne could have done much better with the talent on this team this year.

Ozzy would have this team ready for games, no matter who it was against.

Edited by NebraskaShellback

I blame all of them. The players have lost some games due to execution. The coaches lost the last game with a brain dead game plan. Neither group seems to be able to get out of their own way to win when given the opportunity.

The only reason I can come up with for the passing at Purdue, is they know Armstrong won't play against Michigan State and they know we won't be able to run against them. So they thought the could use the game to practice with Fife. Not a good game plan at all.

But some of our losses have been due to players shooting themselves in the foot with penalties and bad play.

When the coaches and players both come together you get last Saturday. Horrible game plan, five turnovers, poor play, beat by a bad team.

The running game wasn't producing and Newby got hurt. Our O-line isn't playing well. If you're the coaches you probably throw it because you have more trust in the QBs and WRs than anybody else on the team. It's a mess though, I agree.

Our running backs were averaging almost 5 yards a carry, and Fyfe had thrown at least 24 passes before Newby got injured.

The Boilermakers might be able to get out of that basement, though, after stuffing the Huskers for 77 yards and 2.7 yards per carry in a 55-45 win. While the rushing total included a 24-yard loss by quarterback Ryker Fyfe — who couldn’t handle a snap on a third-down pass play — Nebraska still struggled to find any rhythm on the ground for the second week in a row.
Starter Terrell Newby hurt an ankle after running for 56 yards on 10 carries in the first half. That total was a little misleading, since Newby gained 40 of those yards on two runs. His other eight carries went for 16 yards. Newby departed after halftime, giving way to senior Imani Cross, who finished with eight carries for 39 yards. Andy Janovich had two carries inside the Purdue 5, but none of the other Husker running backs who made the trip — Devine Ozigbo, Mikale Wilbon, Jordan Stevenson or Adam Taylor — got a carry.

http://www.omaha.com/huskers/why-can-t-or-won-t-nebraska-run-the-ball/article_7434f2aa-8016-11e5-9e61-fff3075408df.html

We were also way behind after halftime, in which case you generally throw the ball to extend the game.

But go on thinking the way you want to think if it makes you happy.

I would not be surprised if one calculated the 'stars' of the 2 deep chart that played against Purdue yesterday, you would find an 'average of about 1.5 stars per player. I would assume you would assign a zero (0) stars for all walk on players whether or not they have been recently awarded scholarships by the team.

I doubt we have even 2 five star players on the team and probably less than 5 four star players playing considerable minutes.

One might reasonably also weigh positions differently, perhaps, such as deducting points if we are playing non "4 star or better' guys in key places such as QB, WR, RB and tackle spots. You can get by arguably with 3 star guys or so at the line positions if they have the size and are red shirt juiniors with plenty of time to develop and some good experience playing late in games while developing their talents and strength. Two star quality TEs and FBs are usable but to win championships you will need 4 star or better across the board (two deep) with your third string being solid 3 star quality players. You can fill in with some walk ons on special teams and scout team and in the 4th quarter of the domination games but you can't win at a national high level without the requisite talent!

Everyone is losing sight and is just not accepting the facts: Nebraska is a mediocre or less program and has been for years with very low average level overall talent. How many of our players that started or played over half the minutes of the game against Purdue could start for Ohio State? I don't think we have any! How many would make their second string? I don't think any! How many would make third string? Perhaps two or three.

I don't think we have more than a couple that could start for Wisconsin or Michigan or Michigan State or perhaps a number of other Big Ten teams. We could find 5 or 6 starters from each of the following teams - Minne, Illinois, and Purdue. I believe we could find 15 starters on Penn State, Wisconsin, and better.

Be real: we are not very good. I am doubtful Tom Osborne could have done much better with the talent on this team this year.

I agree. Osborne would have these guys playing. The problem is he's one of the best ever coaches and there isn't one of them waiting to take over Nebraska.

I agree. Osborne would have these guys playing. The problem is he's one of the best ever coaches and there isn't one of them waiting to take over Nebraska.

I know that is the sad part of it.