Under Center vs Shotgun in the Redzone

I really think the offensive scheme for the UCLA game was more Riley then Langsdorf. I feel like he finally stepped in and told Langs what he needed to do. He has stated many times he likes to let his coaches coach, but he will over rule them if he ever needs to. I think that is what we finally saw. Even with the team focusing on running the ball, there was still a lot of questionable playcalls & formations mainly in the redzone. I will never understand the use of the shotgun formation in the redzone when you are winning the physical battle on the line. Why not let your big back run down hill, behind a really good blocking FB. I think some of these issues are because of Langsdorf & his want to throw the ball or at least give the look that they might throw the ball. I really hope this staff looks at some power/pro style teams like Alabama, LSU & Stanford. I also hope to see a big focus put on the guys on both sides of the line of scrimage. OL's & DL's make up almost 60% of the players on the field. You need to recruit with that stat in mind. An average QB & RB look much better when you have an elite line.

I don't personally mind the use of shotgun in the redzone, even inside the 3, especially when your QB is a significant threat to run.

My biggest issue will always be that man blocking and preferably calling plays that move OLmen into positions to out number defenders is necessary in those situations. There are technical disadvantages and risks to that, but I still like the odds better.

One other thought: the criticism around OL and DL numbers recruiting is that a lot of the time, those guys simply aren't available every year in the number that fans, and even coaches, would prefer. I think coaches going all the way back Osborne (and I only don't include Devaney because I wasn't born then) were unfairly maligned for not having talented or deep enough lines. People only remember the 90s, but Osborne lines took a lot of heat in the 80s and early 90s when "they played an opposing line with a pulse."

The reality to me is, we will get a pretty steady level of talent at those positions, and scheme will need to make them look better than they are individually.