Huskers Running More Cover 3 This Year

Mavric

Holy S#!^! This is the best news I've heard in I don't know how long.

I have a lot more hope for our defense this year now. Hated Quarters since the first quarter of the BYU game.

Nebraska’s defense has made a philosophical switch over the off-season. A year ago, the Huskers were more a Quarters defense, something that Banker ran while he was at Oregon State.

The schemed relied heavily on creating pressure up front and corners winning one-on-one coverage situations.

This year the Huskers have employed more of a Cover 3 scheme, that takes pressure off the corners and gives them less one-on-one coverage situations. They ran some Cover 3 at times a year ago, but not near as much as they’ve shown early on in camp.

“We were more of a quarters team that turned around and looked at the man,” cornerback Chris Jones said. “It was more lock down and go get them

“It takes a lot of pressure off us just staying on a man the whole time. Now we are able to look at the quarterback and see what he’s doing and make plays on the ball.”

HOL

• Fire 2

I'll be interested to see how they play the safeties. I'm assuming they'll have more of a Strong Safety/Free Safety look with the Free having the middle third and the Strong up in a short zone or run support.

I'd really like to see Gerry at the Free - you know .... once he's actually playing. :blink:

• Fire 1