Where I'm at after 55 years

At the age of 5 or 6, I remember Grandpa thinking it was wonderful we'd had a winning season. It was a big thing.

Now obviously, the Huskers had been really good prior to that era, but we'd been mediocre long enough that a winning season was a good thing.

Then Devaney took hold and the Huskers were world beaters. The first two MNCs. Then Devaney left and Osborne took over. He couldn't win enough to make anybody happy because he was judged by the last two years of Devaney's run. Winning seasons were a total wash out if we didn't beat OU, or if we lost the bowl game. Then, 20 some years later Osborne was the Football Genius, winning three MNCs in 4 years. That ended the era where we had, back to back, two of the top 20 coaches of all time perhaps.

For many years during that stretch, a loss during the season would literally ruin my entire week. I was where lots of folks on this board seem to be now. So I definitely can't judge.

Legendary coaches are far an few between, and we had two, back to back. Then we didn't

Fast forward 20 years and the fan base is still bitching about 9 - 3 seasons.

We could see Riley get his guys and become an Osborne. We could fall off the edge and return to an era where winning seasons are "a big thing". Seems as if it is a rough go right now for the Huskers. We might get better, we might get worse, we might stay the same.

Doesn't matter a whit in my life. I will holler and scream and be the biggest, big red fan there is on game days. Then, the part of my life that matters will come back to the forefront until the next game day.

• Fire 2