Magic 8 ball

Consulting the Nebraska Cornhuskers Magic 8 Ball

While recently taking a stroll down memory lane, I found myself thinking about the trusty Magic 8 Ball that I kept on my desk as a child. Whenever I had a pressing question that needed a definitive answer, I gave that globe a shake and hoped for the best. Will I pass the big science test? My sources say no. Will coach finally put me in the game tomorrow? Outlook not so good. Will I be able to find a date for the prom? Don't count on it.

Looking back, the Magic 8 Ball was quite an accurate device, but I wondered if it could still be effective today. With the Nebraska Cornhuskers just a few weeks away from summer workouts, and little more than three months from the season opener, I decided to put the Magic 8 Ball to the test once more for old time's sake. Let's take a look at the answers given in response to some burning Nebraska questions.

- Can Harrison Beck get the job done at QB if needed? Reply Hazy, try again.

In football, a backup is only one play away from being thrust onto the field and into the heat of battle. At no position does this ring truer than at quarterback, as Husker faithful found out last season when Zac Taylor was knocked out of the November 12th game against Kansas St. Harrison Beck entered the game and promptly threw an interception which set up the go-ahead K-State FG. In fairness to Beck, he was later able to hit Nate Swift with a 21 yard completion to help put the team in position for Jordan Congdon's game winning 40-yard FG. The optimists are sure to look at that moment as a sign that Beck can handle the pressure of a big game situation. However, pessimists will be quick to point out that the 21 yards gained on that pass would represent Beck's lone completion. His final 2005 stats: 1-10 for 21 yards and an INT. Make no mistake about it; Harrison Beck has all of the tools required to be a successful college quarterback. He possesses nice mobility, above average arm strength, and field intelligence. However, this sophomore lacks one thing that you just can't teach, and that is game experience. If (football gods forbid) something should happen to Zac Taylor in '06, it will be anyone's guess as to how (or if) Harrison Beck can deliver for Big Red.

- Will the offense restore balance this season? It is decidedly so.

Nebraska fans, players, and coaches are all tired of hearing about the disparity between the passing offense (54th nationally) and the rushing offense (107th nationally) in '05. That is why so much attention has been (and will continue to be) focused on improving the offensive line and creating a more balanced attack. Let's face it, the O-Line had more than it's share of difficulties last season. While the Blackshirts racked up a nation high 50 sacks, Nebraska quarterbacks (i.e. Zac Taylor) were dropped for a loss 38 times. In total, Husker ball carriers lost nearly 400 yards rushing in '05, and stumbled to a team average of 2.7 yards per carry. Yeesh. With that being said, O-Line coach Dennis Wagner feels very confident about the pieces being put in place this season, and it is almost certain that Taylor will have more protection, and the Glenn/Lucky duo should see more daylight.

- Can Nebraska improve upon last season's 8-4 mark? Most likely.

Nebraska should be an improved football team in 2006. The offense is going to consistently score points, and the defense is often going to shut opponents down. However, for fans expecting a HUGE jump in record and ranking, this campaign may be a slight letdown. Don't get me wrong, I do believe the Huskers will win the Big 12 North this season. I also believe that Nebraska can definitely get to 9 wins, but it will take a stellar effort to reach 10. Does that mean it's impossible? Certainly not. There are just several factors which will make double digit victories a tough task. First of all, the Huskers do play a typically tough schedule. USC and Texas still have many of the pieces in place from last year's national championship game. Fans are focusing on the losses of Bush, Leinart, White, Young, Huff, and Griffin, but trust me when I tell you that these teams remain ultra-talented. Add to the mix the trips to Iowa St. and Kansas State, as well as the regular season closer against CU, and Nebraska fans can see that the road is certainly paved with potential pitfalls.

Another factor that will go a long way towards determining success in '06 is offensive depth (as discussed earlier at QB). If any of the key offensive cogs go down with injury, can the Huskers bench make up the difference? While that remains unknown, it has to be a slight concern in Lincoln. ESPN's Ivan Maisel recently released an early Top 25, and he has Nebraska ranked 15th. I believe this to be a very accurate representation of what fans can expect this season. It would take an absolutely outstanding team effort to crack the Top 10 in '06; conversely, it would be extremely disappointing to fall outside of the Top 20 with so many weapons available on both sides of the ball.

Although the answers to these questions and many more won't be known until the games unfold, there is one question that can answered with a great measure of certainty regarding the upcoming season. Will the Nebraska Cornhuskers give fans reason to be excited in 2006? To quote an old childhood friend, all signs point to yes.

For more Nebraska Cornhuskers info, visit RealFootball365.com

Consulting the Nebraska Cornhuskers Magic 8 Ball

While recently taking a stroll down memory lane, I found myself thinking about the trusty Magic 8 Ball that I kept on my desk as a child. Whenever I had a pressing question that needed a definitive answer, I gave that globe a shake and hoped for the best. Will I pass the big science test? My sources say no. Will coach finally put me in the game tomorrow? Outlook not so good. Will I be able to find a date for the prom? Don't count on it.

Looking back, the Magic 8 Ball was quite an accurate device, but I wondered if it could still be effective today. With the Nebraska Cornhuskers just a few weeks away from summer workouts, and little more than three months from the season opener, I decided to put the Magic 8 Ball to the test once more for old time's sake. Let's take a look at the answers given in response to some burning Nebraska questions.

- Can Harrison Beck get the job done at QB if needed? Reply Hazy, try again.

In football, a backup is only one play away from being thrust onto the field and into the heat of battle. At no position does this ring truer than at quarterback, as Husker faithful found out last season when Zac Taylor was knocked out of the November 12th game against Kansas St. Harrison Beck entered the game and promptly threw an interception which set up the go-ahead K-State FG. In fairness to Beck, he was later able to hit Nate Swift with a 21 yard completion to help put the team in position for Jordan Congdon's game winning 40-yard FG. The optimists are sure to look at that moment as a sign that Beck can handle the pressure of a big game situation. However, pessimists will be quick to point out that the 21 yards gained on that pass would represent Beck's lone completion. His final 2005 stats: 1-10 for 21 yards and an INT. Make no mistake about it; Harrison Beck has all of the tools required to be a successful college quarterback. He possesses nice mobility, above average arm strength, and field intelligence. However, this sophomore lacks one thing that you just can't teach, and that is game experience. If (football gods forbid) something should happen to Zac Taylor in '06, it will be anyone's guess as to how (or if) Harrison Beck can deliver for Big Red.

- Will the offense restore balance this season? It is decidedly so.

Nebraska fans, players, and coaches are all tired of hearing about the disparity between the passing offense (54th nationally) and the rushing offense (107th nationally) in '05. That is why so much attention has been (and will continue to be) focused on improving the offensive line and creating a more balanced attack. Let's face it, the O-Line had more than it's share of difficulties last season. While the Blackshirts racked up a nation high 50 sacks, Nebraska quarterbacks (i.e. Zac Taylor) were dropped for a loss 38 times. In total, Husker ball carriers lost nearly 400 yards rushing in '05, and stumbled to a team average of 2.7 yards per carry. Yeesh. With that being said, O-Line coach Dennis Wagner feels very confident about the pieces being put in place this season, and it is almost certain that Taylor will have more protection, and the Glenn/Lucky duo should see more daylight.

- Can Nebraska improve upon last season's 8-4 mark? Most likely.

Nebraska should be an improved football team in 2006. The offense is going to consistently score points, and the defense is often going to shut opponents down. However, for fans expecting a HUGE jump in record and ranking, this campaign may be a slight letdown. Don't get me wrong, I do believe the Huskers will win the Big 12 North this season. I also believe that Nebraska can definitely get to 9 wins, but it will take a stellar effort to reach 10. Does that mean it's impossible? Certainly not. There are just several factors which will make double digit victories a tough task. First of all, the Huskers do play a typically tough schedule. USC and Texas still have many of the pieces in place from last year's national championship game. Fans are focusing on the losses of Bush, Leinart, White, Young, Huff, and Griffin, but trust me when I tell you that these teams remain ultra-talented. Add to the mix the trips to Iowa St. and Kansas State, as well as the regular season closer against CU, and Nebraska fans can see that the road is certainly paved with potential pitfalls.

Another factor that will go a long way towards determining success in '06 is offensive depth (as discussed earlier at QB). If any of the key offensive cogs go down with injury, can the Huskers bench make up the difference? While that remains unknown, it has to be a slight concern in Lincoln. ESPN's Ivan Maisel recently released an early Top 25, and he has Nebraska ranked 15th. I believe this to be a very accurate representation of what fans can expect this season. It would take an absolutely outstanding team effort to crack the Top 10 in '06; conversely, it would be extremely disappointing to fall outside of the Top 20 with so many weapons available on both sides of the ball.

Although the answers to these questions and many more won't be known until the games unfold, there is one question that can answered with a great measure of certainty regarding the upcoming season. Will the Nebraska Cornhuskers give fans reason to be excited in 2006? To quote an old childhood friend, all signs point to yes.

For more Nebraska Cornhuskers info, visit RealFootball365.com

Yea I had one of them also, Everything that wasn't important came up rose's - Everything that mattered - It f'd Me!!! :lol: