video editing?

So, while we on on the video editing, I have a question. I have some movies I want to burn to a DVD. They are just a little over 700 mb. When I put them in Nero to burn, it says the current job exceedes the capacity of a DVD (4.7 gb) usually by up to .5 gb. The file is a .avi format. Anyone have any suggestions on how I can reduce the file size so that it will fit on a DVD?

how long are the videos/movies?

If they exceed 1 1/2 hrs then you'll need to do some compression.

not to go too deep but nero is going to have to re-encode the video to an MPEG (which is the DVD Video standard) and in doing so most likely exceeds the DVD limit. If you can change the "BIT RATE" in your software that should do it. Below is a link to calculate what bit rate you'll need by just entering your total time.

http://www.videohelp.com/calc.htm

Hope this works for you.

Oh yeah if you have a menu, that will effect the amount of space that is available too.

how long are the videos/movies?

If they exceed 1 1/2 hrs then you'll need to do some compression.

not to go too deep but nero is going to have to re-encode the video to an MPEG (which is the DVD Video standard) and in doing so most likely exceeds the DVD limit. If you can change the "BIT RATE" in your software that should do it. Below is a link to calculate what bit rate you'll need by just entering your total time.

http://www.videohelp.com/calc.htm

Hope this works for you.

Oh yeah if you have a menu, that will effect the amount of space that is available too.

Thanks, I'll check it out. Most of the movies are around 2 hrs long. I know Nero changes the format or encoding or something to NTSC, that's why it takes hours to burn one dvd. I'll have to check on Nero to see if there is anywhere where I can decrease the bit rate and hopefully not reduce the quality too much.

Thanks for the info.

two hours shouldn't be too bad. especially if your original media is only 700MBs.

your bit rate should be around 4-5 and you should be set to burn.

*ignore below if above works*

If you can't change nero I would try to convert the video using a, you guessed it, video convertor (like Quicktime Pro, $30). Use these settings:

Export to MPEG2

Target Bit Rate 4.5

Maximum Bit Rate 5

Motion Estimation Best

One Pass Variable Bit Rate

good luck!

two hours shouldn't be too bad. especially if your original media is only 700MBs.

your bit rate should be around 4-5 and you should be set to burn.

*ignore below if above works*

If you can't change nero I would try to convert the video using a, you guessed it, video convertor (like Quicktime Pro, $30). Use these settings:

Export to MPEG2

Target Bit Rate 4.5

Maximum Bit Rate 5

Motion Estimation Best

One Pass Variable Bit Rate

good luck!

I figured it out thanks. I found where Nero has the settings to adjust the bit rate.

another Q....how do i save the videos from huskers.com to my computer?

beats me.

if you are using firefox try this:

https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/2390/

People have used this to download the Alamo Bowl video off of my site, so I assume it works OK.

I have used the mozilla addon to grab vids off of youtube. Works fairly well. Don't know if it would work for Huskers.com.