What if T.O. had gone to Michigan St.???

Dispositions changed a day later. It didn't make sense, Osborne concluded, to leave what he had spent twenty-two years nurturing at Nebraska for a new conference and new school that didn't have the status Michigan State held when Devaney had been there.

All that build up for this.

All coaches go through this every year. You know how many requests BIll Callahan is getting every month to "bolt" elsewhere

I just thought it was interesting that he was genuinely interested in the offer. Even with Nebraska in the driver's seat that year to play in the N.C. game and he still wanted to talk it out with his wife and brought it up to his assistants for discussion. The thought just gave me some goosebumbs while I was reading it.

Dispositions changed a day later. It didn't make sense, Osborne concluded, to leave what he had spent twenty-two years nurturing at Nebraska for a new conference and new school that didn't have the status Michigan State held when Devaney had been there.

All that build up for this.

All coaches go through this every year. You know how many requests BIll Callahan is getting every month to "bolt" elsewhere

I seriously doubt that Bill Callahan has had a bunch of offers, other than maybe a few OC jobs in the NFL. If he puts up some wins here, then maybe, not until then!!

I never knew T.O. was seriously thinking about jumping ship back in 1994.  Where would this program be today if he and the other assistants all left together?  What would Michigan State's program look like today? 

Michigan St. tried to lure T.O.

This story is poorly written. Date is wrong - the 13-0 season before FSU in the Orange Bowl was '93, not '94.

Life in the Big 12??? The Big 12 wasn't invented yet.

Not saying it didn't happen - it may have. I'll have to read "More Than Winning" again.

ONE THING TO NOTE: OZ nearly DID come out of retirement to coach at MSU-- think around 2000. He was planning on running for Congress, though, and also would be going against his word to his family.

Where WOULD MSU be had he done so? Better off than they are now...

I never knew T.O. was seriously thinking about jumping ship back in 1994.  Where would this program be today if he and the other assistants all left together?  What would Michigan State's program look like today? 

Michigan St. tried to lure T.O.

This story is poorly written. Date is wrong - the 13-0 season before FSU in the Orange Bowl was '93, not '94.

Life in the Big 12??? The Big 12 wasn't invented yet.

Not saying it didn't happen - it may have. I'll have to read "More Than Winning" again.

ONE THING TO NOTE: OZ nearly DID come out of retirement to coach at MSU-- think around 2000. He was planning on running for Congress, though, and also would be going against his word to his family.

Where WOULD MSU be had he done so? Better off than they are now...

story? from the other elements on the page it looks like its from a book.

but the "1994" mistake is pretty obvious. and really an inexcusable mistake for a newspaper story much less a book. how hard is it to double check the right seasons?

IMO had MSU called in '94 they probably wouldn't have even made it through an entire phone call before TO said "No Thanks". That season was Revenge season- National Championship or bust. Obviously the '93 team was headed for a near title as well, but the '94 team was on a Mission to say the least (b/c of '93).

IMO had MSU called in '94 they probably wouldn't have even made it through an entire phone call before TO said "No Thanks". That season was Revenge season- National Championship or bust. Obviously the '93 team was headed for a near title as well, but the '94 team was on a Mission to say the least (b/c of '93).

I agree. That's why it was a bit confusing. I could understand in 1993... but NOT '94.

I think I do remember something about this in "More Than Winning."