There is a God

Brown wins Mass. Senate race in epic upset

The loss by the once-favored Democrat Martha Coakley in the Democratic stronghold was a stunning embarrassment for the White House after Obama rushed to Boston on Sunday to try to save the foundering candidate. Her defeat signaled big political problems for the president's party this fall when House, Senate and gubernatorial candidates are on the ballot nationwide

This doesn't change the fact that we've got the worst health care in the G8. I was never really really on board with this version of "health care reform," but something, SOMETHING needs to be done. They need to focus on insurance reform first, not this broad, mostly directionless "health care reform."

And I don't buy into the notion that Obama is "done" for the next three years. Bush staked his early presidency on No Child Left Behind, which was a well-meaning, if flawed piece of legislation. Nine months later some *$(%$$#$ flew a couple of planes into a couple of buildings and the whole Bush presidency was derailed.

I guess what I'm saying is, this may not mean much. Three years is a LONG time. So much can happen.

This doesn't change the fact that we've got the worst health care in the G8. I was never really really on board with this version of "health care reform," but something, SOMETHING needs to be done. They need to focus on insurance reform first, not this broad, mostly directionless "health care reform."

And I don't buy into the notion that Obama is "done" for the next three years. Bush staked his early presidency on No Child Left Behind, which was a well-meaning, if flawed piece of legislation. Nine months later some *$(%$$#$ flew a couple of planes into a couple of buildings and the whole Bush presidency was derailed.

I guess what I'm saying is, this may not mean much. Three years is a LONG time. So much can happen.

Riding the typhoon of corruption and smoky back rooms, Obama has maybe the rest of this year to get anything on his ultra-left agenda passed. I think Obama has been such a monumental disappointment to his base (whether the left on Afghanistan or the center on healthcare), if he doesn't pull a Clinton and start seriously trying to trim his agenda back within the realm of reason, he's going to die an ideologue. It took Obama less than a year, before his first state of the union, to become synonymous with Washington as usual politics, which wouldn't be such a disaster had he not run on the myths of Hope and Change. Now I'm not saying he couldn't try to veer right and save himself some wiggle room, but this suicide pact he's made with Reid and Pelosi, though not for lack of trying, is about to be negated by Massachusetts of all places.

Please...I think "ultra left" only qualifies in the very narrow right-centric band the US mostly resides in. Not that I think it's a bad band of the political spectrum to reside in, but people like to think of democrats and republicans as left/right, black/white, yin/yang, when ideologically they are both pretty mainstream American...not without differences, but nonetheless.

Radicalism is a bad word so we tend to use expressions like "ultra" "communism" "fascism" "neo" to describe things, but seriously, we have pretty little exposure to the actual political radical undercurrents, IMO. It's a power struggle between the two major parties for seats in Congress and the presidency, etc, but they both fit into a general political region and subscribe fundamentally to those ideals that have actually so far, worked pretty grandly for the US of A.

• Fire 1

I agree. However my sense of joy comes from the fact I felt the Gov (Dems) slammed in their version of Healtcare reform without getting better - let a lone right.

In America Healthcare is a HUGE issue that needs a solution. With this said, let's sit back and get a better solution than what was rushed through.

I agree. However my sense of joy comes from the fact I felt the Gov (Dems) slammed in their version of Healtcare reform without getting better - let a lone right.

In America Healthcare is a HUGE issue that needs a solution. With this said, let's sit back and get a better solution than what was rushed through.

And just how long should we sit back and let the status quo remain in place? It seems to me that Massachusetts already has a universal health care system set up, perhaps Brown will back this system since he's been taking advantage of it.

And just how long should we sit back and let the status quo remain in place? It seems to me that Massachusetts already has a universal health care system set up, perhaps Brown will back this system since he's been taking advantage of it.

Maybe he will. However this plan by the Dems is a poor one at best. All I am saying is let's get more and better ideas instead of just doing something to do something - which all the Dems did when slamming this plan through.

Maybe he will. However this plan by the Dems is a poor one at best. All I am saying is let's get more and better ideas instead of just doing something to do something - which all the Dems did when slamming this plan through.

That's how I see it as well. It seems like they need some piece of legislation to kick off the Obama presidency and this was a hot topic, so they came up with something and ran with it, no matter how solid it was.

No offense to any Democrats out there, but your party is a mess right now. I find it amazing that a party can control the House, the Senate and the Presidency, yet still be unable to pass necessary legislation. Inept leadership.

Please...I think "ultra left" only qualifies in the very narrow right-centric band the US mostly resides in.

They are currently in the leadership positions of the Democratic party. Pelosi, Reid, Obama, Dean, Soros, daily kos.....

This crew makes me reminisce about the good ol days when Bubba was in office. At least, he was a pragmatic politician who could be pulled to the center.

Please...I think "ultra left" only qualifies in the very narrow right-centric band the US mostly resides in.

They are currently in the leadership positions of the Democratic party. Pelosi, Reid, Obama, Dean, Soros, daily kos.....

This crew makes me reminisce about the good ol days when Bubba was in office. At least, he was a pragmatic politician who could be pulled to the center.

Kind of like the old Ben Nelson.

I'm finding it interesting how many Nebraskans are willing to give Bo Pelini two or three years to right the ship that is Nebraska football, while at the same time being unwilling to give Obama one second longer than 365 days to get this country fixed from the shambles it was in when he took office.

• Fire 1

And I don't buy into the notion that Obama is "done" for the next three years. Bush staked his early presidency on No Child Left Behind, which was a well-meaning, if flawed piece of legislation. Nine months later some *$(%$#$ flew a couple of planes into a couple of buildings and the whole Bush presidency was derailed.

Brown has already stated his constituents sent him to Washington to vote NO on this current heath care bill. Reason being, Massachusetts already has a plan and the federal plan would muck theirs up.

However, he stated, he didn't see a problem if each individual state wanted to do their own plan.

Kind of like the old Ben Nelson.

Ben Nelson had a big problem. He was trying to play both sides of the fence. Thing is, his foot slipped, and the top of the fence crushed his family jewels, politically speaking.

He was trying to placate his Democratic base - all 5 of them - while trying to shield two of Nebraska's biggest employers and personal campaign political donors (Mutual of Omaha and BCBS of Nebraska) from a huge tax hike on non-profit insurance providers, by sticking the whole country with the bill for a lifetime.

Ben thought he could have it both ways, and all he's going to get for his trouble is an early retirement in 2012.

I'm finding it interesting how many Nebraskans are willing to give Bo Pelini two or three years to right the ship that is Nebraska football, while at the same time being unwilling to give Obama one second longer than 365 days to get this country fixed from the shambles it was in when he took office.

When Bo Pelini makes a decision, everyone gets to go home at the end of the day, their regular lives unaffected. When Obama, or any president makes a decision for that matter, it affects the daily lives of everyone, usually for a lifetime. If Bo screws up a decision, my job, my health, and my quality of life goes on unaffected.

I don't think this is a repudiation of Obama the person per se, but he is the man, the figure head of the Democratic party, so it may seem that way.

This is mostly a repudiation of the backroom dealing, big spending Congress. The Democrats have had the majorities in both legislative bodies for three years where nothing has been getting done but spending money hand over fist. The Republicans were thrown out of the majorities in 2006 for this very reason. No fiscal sanity. No transparency.

• $780 billion TARP fund by both parties <--- voters are still pissed about this. Obama put in power a number of figures who had played significant roles in the financial meltdown, and Wall Street emerged from the disaster apparently richer than ever. They should have been allowed to fail. Other businesses who played by the rules should have been allowed to take their place.

• $1 trillion dollar stimulus which created little or no jobs but served as political payola to unions, political hacks, and lobbyists for their donations to campaign coffers .
  • Projected $1.5 trillion over ten years health care bill.
  • $3 billion cash for clunkers which drove up prices in the used car market
  • $??? Climate change legislation
  • $??? So-called Green Job creation
  • $??? Cap and Trade
  • $250 billion and counting to bail out mortgage giants Freddie Mac and Fannie Mae
  • $??? A much talked about second stimulus
  • $1.9 trillion increase in the debt ceiling asked for today by Democrats

When it comes to popularity ratings and why they've dropped for Obama, he has only himself to blame for that. The broken promises are abundant, because he hasn't shown any leadership.

• Broken promise No. 1: 'Sunlight Before Signing' (went out the window with the stimulus plan, actually no one read it, not even Congress)
  • Broken promise No. 2: 'No jobs for lobbyists in the White House' (only 19 employed)
  • Broken promise No. 3: Earmark reform (went out the window with the stimulus plan)
  • Broken promise No. 4: Transparency (Cornhusker kickback, Louisiana purchase)
  • Broken promise No. 5: Negotiate health care reform in public sessions on C-SPAN (never happened)
  • Broken promise No. 6: Eliminate Executive signing statements (signed one within his first week in office)
  • Broken promise No. 7: No Tax Increase on Families Making Under 250k (raised cigarette taxes by 159%, tax on "Cadillac" health insurance plans)
  • Broken promise No. 8: I Won't Force Americans To Buy Insurance (This September, he told Congress: "Under my plan, individuals will be required to carry basic health insurance.")
  • Broken promise No. 9: End of "No bid" contracts over $25 billion (never happened)
  • Broken promise No. 10: Expedition of stimulus package would hold unemployment rate at 8% (today it is still over 10%)

There are many other broken promises, but these will suffice.

When I say Obama hasn't shown any leadership, I mean he doesn't have the balls to dress down Pelosi and Reid. They are running roughshod as if they are running the show, and Obama is some token. If they didn't get the message after losses in New Jersey, Virginia, and now Massachusetts, then they never will until they lose 30-80 seats in the House, and 5-10 seats in the Senate rendering Obama to lame duck status after 2010 with no legacy and a failed presidency.

Honestly, I think that calling any of those guys "ultra left", even Dean, is doing a pretty big disservice to the real "ultra left" politics of the world. Maybe they are "ultra left" for mainstream America's spectrum, but in an international view, I really don't think they can qualify. Some real nutters out there.

Similarly, I don't buy into the "FOX/Palin/etc" being "ultra-right"...