Separating Religion from Football?

I'd like to hear your guys' thoughts on this: LINKED ARTICLE

Personally, I feel that as long as the players are aware of these things (church days, team chaplain, etc) during recruiting, they have the option then not to attend Clemson University. It's no secret that Dabo is a devout Christian, as was Tommy Bowden as well. When I was there, Tommy would have church day, but the players could opt out if it went against their religion. We had a Jehovah's Witness who did, and just met the team for the lunch after the service.

Your thoughts?

I don't have any problem with what Dabo, their team chaplain, or the team in general is doing as regards "promoting" religion. Unless they are creating a hostile environment for student/players or unless they are not allowing them to opt out or participate voluntarily. The fact this is being advanced by the Freedom from Religion Foundation, and not a group of current or former Clemson players, explains everything we need to know about this.

Many football programs have strong ties of a religious nature such as Fellowship of Christian Athletes, etc. I would be extremely surprised if Nebraska did not have similar religious activities available for players. The anti religion groups are not satisfied with it being a choice but rather they want any exposure to it eliminated completely.

There's more to it than simply providing an opt-out. Football is not a religious activity and to integrate religion to a great extent (I'm not commenting on how much Clemson or any other school does this, since I don't know) and make it so you have to either opt out of a set of team-sponsored and run activities, or out of the team entirely, that could be problematic.

This is obviously something that isn't often brought up, but that simply looks like a reflection of how strongly Christian football programs tend to be anyway. I'm not sure what the demographics are, but it seems really high. As killer cacti says in the first post he can think of one player who opted out of church day. 90% majorities tend to dominate by default and result in a large amount of indifference to where the other 10% is coming from.

I don't think anyone is saying religion should be absent from these people's lives, but as far as how the team is run, I think it should be. Independent groups and organizations are fine. A public university's football team should not be saying, "Devoutly religious is how we are. Deal with it or take the option to go somewhere else."