Fabian Washington not concerned about offense

Nebraska cornerback is confident that Huskers will be able to move ball

By Mike Babcock

For The Independent

LINCOLN -- When someone asks about the Nebraska football team, the subject is always the West Coast offense. But Fabian Washington doesn't mind, even though he plays defense.

The junior cornerback has gotten used to the questions, in fact. "Hey, it's coming along pretty good," he'll say with a re-assuring smile. "They struggle at times, but they bounce back pretty fast."

The consensus seems to be that the defense will have to carry the team, at least early in the season, while the offense tries to find a comfort level in the midst of coach Bill Callahan's complicated system. The defense is certainly capable of doing that, said Washington, no problem there.

But "I think the offense is going to handle their own," he said.

As for the defense, with its six returning starters, "we're just going to do what we've been accustomed to doing, making plays, trying to get some turnovers, playing fast," he said.

The defense did those things last season, leading the nation in turnover margin and interceptions, with a school-record 32. Such opportunism will characterize the defense again this season, according to Washington, who contributed four interceptions and a fumble recovery.

There might not be as many interceptions this season, but "we can make up for that by causing a lot of fumbles," he said. One way or another, the defense is going to get the ball.

The secondary will "set the tone," he said. And no one can dispute that. Defensive back is the team's most experienced position area. Washington, who played without redshirting, will be a third-year starter. Junior safeties Josh Bullocks and Daniel Bullocks are returning starters, as well. And senior Lornell McPherson, the other cornerback, was the starting nickel back last season.

In its college football annual, The Sporting News ranked the Cornhusker secondary as the nation's best, noting that Washington "is difficult to fool because of his experience."

He has led Nebraska in pass breakups in each of his two seasons, with a combined 23 to rank fifth all-time. He also was credited with 55 tackles last season, seventh best on the team.

Josh Bullocks attracted most of the attention among the defensive backs, with his school-record 10 interceptions and his All-America accolades. But Washington has comparable ability. The Sporting News ranked him as the best cornerback in the Big 12, and the sixth best in the nation.

He isn't satisfied, however. "I want to play more consistent," Washington said. "Last year, I'd have some big games and then some games where it was like I wasn't even there."

The consistency he seeks, like an errant pass, begins on the practice field, "flying around, playing hard every play in practice," he said. "It will carry over to the game, definitely."

As a freshman, he relied mostly on physical ability, in particular his speed and aggressiveness. "I hadn't really learned anything yet because I was thrown into the fire. But since then, my confidence has gotten a whole lot better. I've learned a lot more technique," he said.

At this level, as well as at the next, technique determines who succeeds. "Everybody is going to be good and talented," he said. "It's who's going to do their technique best."

While Washington goes about the business of refining his technique, those outside the program want to know about the West Coast offense, how it's coming along.

"Nobody worries about the defense anymore," he said. "After my freshman year, when we struggled on defense, that was the big question around here: What's the defense going to do?"

His freshman season in 2002, Nebraska ranked 55th in the nation in total defense and 45th in scoring defense, and the result was a 7-7 record, the worst in 40 years. When the defense draws too much attention, "that means we're doing something bad," said Washington.

So how many times has he been asked about the offense since last spring?

"A lot," he said. "It ain't a number. It's just a lot."

http://www.theindependent.com/stories/0816...iington16.shtml