Breakout receiver

Who will be the big-time Receiver we need??  

14 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Okay, we all know to be successful in the WCO we absolutely HAVE to have at least one or two go-to Receivers. We cant simply have a squad full of "role players" that are great blockers like years past.

Can BC use Frank's group of WRs and be successful with the WCO the first time around, or will he fail until he has true "WCO Receivers"?

Should Joe D be judged based on the quality of his receivers? Im afraid we may have a rocky start all around, which could lead to the downfall of JD, which wouldnt be warranted. In steps the JUCO wonder-boy who has a more experienced group to work with and he looks golden. We all know how the back-up QB in a pass-happy offense is always the fav, so Im wondering if Jordan might not be better off where he is .... ?

Heres an art from the OWH that reviews our receivers of past and present..

http://www.omaha.com/index.php?u_pg=528&u_...3&u_sid=1179036

• 2 weeks later...

Willie Amos has the tools, but does he have the total package? Im not so sure..

Amos ready to make impact at receiver

BY BRIAN ROSENTHAL / Lincoln Journal Star

Willie Amos hasn't been a major factor on the Nebraska football team since his sophomore season in 2001.

Three years, one major knee surgery and a position change later, Amos appears ready to finally make a difference on the field.

The fifth-year senior from Sweetwater, Texas, will be among Nebraska's top five receivers when first-year coach Bill Callahan and offensive coordinator Jay Norvell debut their much-ballyhooed West Coast offense Saturday night against Western Illinois.

That's a pretty big accomplishment for a guy who's spent the previous four years as a defensive back, right?

Well, Amos seems unfazed. When asked about his progress, and which position he prefers, Amos simply shrugged his shoulders.

"I don't know. I really can't say," Amos said. "I mean, both have their good things about them, both have their bad. I really can't say if I like one more than the other."

OK. So does Amos at least feel he's more suited for wide receiver?

"I don't know," he said. "Coming off having no experience at it at all, I really can't say. I mean, I do have attributes and assets that contribute very well to it. But we'll find that out as the season progresses."

Wide receivers coach Turner Gill immediately points to perhaps Amos' biggest asset.

Speed.

"He has that burst to be able to make a big play, a very explosive type of guy," said Gill, who, like Amos, is in his first year working with the wide receivers. "He can bring us that extra dimension, make big plays."

That could mean Amos could serve as a deep threat, or maybe that he's a likely candidate to run a reverse or two.

"He's just amazing," Nebraska cornerback Fabian Washington said. "Every time he lines up on my side (in practice), he's somebody when he comes out there, they're probably going to throw the deep ball to him. That's what I look for when he lines up."

Washington, who's among the team's fastest players, admits Amos is faster.

Amos, though, doesn't want to make a big deal of his speed.

"You can be a Jerry Rice. He runs like a 4.6, and yet, he's one of the best receivers ever," Amos said.

"I don't want to just pose as one threat. You can take one threat. To me, that's useless."

Perhaps that why Amos, listed as the No. 2 ‘X' receiver and No. 3 ‘Zebra' receiver, has volunteered to spend extra time after some practices, catching more balls from Gill.

He wants to work on becoming a better, complete receiver.

"I think he's gotten better every day," Gill said. "He's worked very hard, very dedicated, wants to be the best he can be at that position."

Amos said he needs to work on his body control and natural tendencies other receivers have developed over years of experience.

"It's just something I have to pick up," Amos said. "To me, it's a disadvantage."

Amos, an all-state running back in high school, began his Nebraska career as a free safety. He played in every game his true freshman season, both on defense and special teams. As a sophomore, Amos moved into the starting lineup and recorded four interceptions.

The spring of 2002, however, changed Amos' career. During a major scrimmage, Amos tore the lateral collateral and anterior cruciate ligaments of his right knee. Surgery forced him to miss that season.

Last year, Amos struggled to return to full speed. He played in only five games and had four tackles.

Then last spring, the new coaching staff, in search of talented athletes to play wide receiver in a more pass-oriented offense, gave Amos a look.

If you ask quarterback Joe Dailey, it's where Amos should've been playing all along.

"(Defense) was bad for him," Dailey said. "I think he should've been on the offensive side when he first started out, because they had him using the speed against himself.

"Now, he's got an opportunity to go forward with it, get a chance to use his athletic ability to run past people, make moves on people. It's going to be great to actually watch Willie run past a few of these corners and throw the ball deep to him."

No, Amos isn't refined. Gill said he still needs to improve on some aspects of his game.

"But I think he's at a point now where he's ready to make some plays for us," Gill said, "and we're giving him some opportunities."

http://journalstar.com/articles/2004/09/02...ra/10054561.txt