Murtha-"It's hard to come back..Nothing's for sure

Couple interesting excerpts from this story...

During a drill with an apparatus that forces linemen to stay low, a pin on the apparatus malfunctioned, causing it to fall on the back of his right leg. It was a "horrible accident," said Murtha.

Outer ligaments were stretched. There was a contusion on his calf. And he suffered a high ankle sprain. "I couldn't feel the right side of my foot for a while," he said. 

Instead of competing for a job, learning the system, he faced two weeks of rehab. He returned to practice on Tuesday, participating in drills but not running any plays. On Wednesday, he was able to do some of both. "I'm taking it one day at a time," Murtha said.

Obviously the reason he was out for a while. I didnt realize that.

He stands 6-foot-7 and weighs 285 pounds, down about 20 since he arrived in June. He expects to gain back about 15 pounds of muscle in the short term.

Kinda odd that he cut that much weight especially with his tall frame - most kids put on weight when they get to college. Think it was just from the heat of a Lincoln summer or related to the injury?

At this point in preseason practice, he's "one large step" behind the other linemen. There is much to learn in the playbook, mental preparation. "As a freshman, there's a lot thrown at you. It's just a ton thrown at you," he said. However, "physical reps are the most important part of football."

Sounds like this injury was a little worse than was led on. Overall he sounds pretty frustrated about the whole thing.

"It's hard to come back, but we'll see what happens. Nothing's for sure."

Hope he doesnt turn into another Curt Dukes!! :(

http://www.theindependent.com/stories/0827...babcock27.shtml