WIU Notes

Blackshirt

WIU Notes, 9/3: Leathernecks are up to their necks in changes

Western Illinois has a defensive coordinator who didn't arrive until July, and the team's offense will be steered by a different quarterback than the one who led the Leathernecks the previous two seasons.

But even if WIU had everyone back from last year's team that qualified for the NCAA Division I-AA quarterfinals, the Huskers wouldn't know everything about their Saturday opponent.

"I think it's safe to say we probably game plan more than a lot of programs," Western coach Don Patterson said. "It's not easy to say, if they look at us over a number of games, ‘This is what they do.' We recruit with kids that are bright. They're not unnerved when new plays show up."

Senior Adam Smith is expected to make his first start at quarterback for the Leathernecks. Sophomore Steve LaFalce, who saw limited action as a backup in 10 games last season, also should see the field. Smith transferred to Western last spring after graduating from Duke. He was a 12-game starter for the Blue Devils in 2002, when he threw for 2,031 yards. Included in that was a 353-yard effort against North Carolina State.

"Adam at least has the advantage of playing against quality I-A opponents," Patterson said. "But I feel good about both of them. I think they're very similar. We don't have any quarterbacks that can't throw the ball. We wouldn't dream of that."

THE LITTLE GIANT: When he was 10, Western Illinois senior James Norris was a stunt double in the movie "Little Giants," a Disney flick about two brothers coaching rival peewee football teams. Now, Norris gets his stunt work in as a wide receiver and punt returner. Last year, he led NCAA Division I-AA in punt returns with a 19.1-yard average and led WIU receivers averaging 62.9 yards per game.

ON THE CHARTS: Western has been ranked in the last 25 Division I-AA national polls, finishing each of the last two seasons at No. 5. No other Division I-AA team has been in the top five both years.

WHAT'S A LEATHERNECK?: In 1927, athletic director Ray "Rock" Hanson — who coached Western's football, basketball and baseball teams and was a colonel in the Marine Corps — received permission from the Navy to use the Marine's official seals and the bulldog mascot. WIU is the only non-military university with a nickname attributed to a branch of the military.

http://journalstar.com/articles/2004/09/03...66099595037.txt