Rate the Coaching Decisions

What overall grade do you give the coaching staff for the Southern Miss lose  

15 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Still comes down to execution for me. It's easy to say, after the fact, what we could have run different plays. Who knows if they would have worked? No one does. All you can do is speculate.

If the plays called had been executed better, this thread woudn't exist IMO.

Oh and forgive me for having some faith in the new system. Sheesh. :unsure: When you have a different system, the play calling is going to be different. Doesn't that make sense? Sure, looking back on it I would have liked to see a couple running plays on the last drive. That doesn't mean another play would have worked when executed.

I dont give a rats patute who Callahan thinks he needs to impress, b/c if he keeps that crap up the only wow factor is going to be HOW fast his ass gets the hook.

Im sorry to say and Im not usually pessimistic or one to attack, but our coaches blew this one for us fellas. I know the past is the past, but sh#t guys Solich and co would NOT have lost this one. period. Why? 1) They would have kicked 2 field goals where Callahan went for the 1st down on 4th and long at midfield. Even if we didnt convert both of these you can bet your ass Solich wouldnt have thrown 4 straight times on the goalline. Yeah yeah I know.. if we didnt have Callahan we wouldnt have BEEN on the goal line. And I realize this is all theory but crap, I AM PISSED. A very demoralizing way to lose. We straight DOMINATED THAT FRIGGIN GAME!! Seriously, the whole game didnt you feel like we were commanding every aspect of it??? I know a lot falls on Joey Ds decision making, but we have had players make worse decisions in the past and still came out on top. i.e . J Lord last yr in several games... even the So Miss game.

Comeon coach, you already HAVE THE JOB. Stop auditioning and JUST WIN BABY!! remember?? apparently not.

Just for the record, I think this WOW factor is BS.

The offense is different, thus the plays in all situations have a good chance of being different that what we have seen.

Again, it comes down to execution. Protecting the ball is part of proper execution. You can't give up the ball 5 times and win against a So. Miss. They will make you pay along with the rest of the teams we play this year. That is what lost us this game. You can't just magically forget what happened in the rest of the game.

Let's move to next week guys.

Agreed and yes this discussion should be put down like Old yeller, but its relevant to note that they did as expected spend more time emphasizing holding the rock at practice this wk..

"We put on more of an emphasis, a heightened emphasis, in terms of turnovers," NU Coach Bill Callahan said. "When you come to practice, and you watch your players perform, we're always talking about ball security. ... (Running Backs) Coach (Randy) Jordan is chasing down anyone who doesn't have the ball locked up, and we address it immediately."

So if they do a better job this weekend on TOs does that mean that

1) the coaches failed last wk b/c they didnt do a good enough job before last wk or

2) the players just plained F'd up last wk and the coaches did a great job addressing it in practice this wk

...let the debate continue!! :lol:

Well I read the same art and this is what I took away from it..

"The concern only lies with our own execution," NU Offensive Coordinator Jay Norvell said. "You really can't control what your opponents do. We are going to go back to our own fundamentals, what we want to stress in this game plan versus this opponent.

Addresses the points some of the others were making about bottom line being execution..

So if they do a better job this weekend on TOs does that mean that

1) the coaches failed last wk b/c they didnt do a good enough job before last wk or

2) the players just plained F'd up last wk and the coaches did a great job addressing it in practice this wk

...let the debate continue!! :lol:

At that point, it doesn't matter except to settle a pissing contest.