5-star recruit commits to Huskers

Redout

In a thread I recently posted, I asked people what they thought about loses and recruiting and if it hurt teams chances to get a player if they lost on his visit.

Apparently not. Rivals100 reports that 5star juco player Zackery Bowman from New Mexico Military Institute has given Bill Callahan his oral commitment.

If this commit sticks, as of now it's being called one of the biggest recruit landed by the Huskers in the past few seasons.

To add some more, he is 6'2" 200 and absolutly flies at a 4.35. He says he is consistently in the 4'2's, but whatever. He will be given the option to play DB or WR.

He passed on scholorships to Oklahoma, Florida, Texas Tech, South Carolina and Arizona State.

Wow. This is SO damn huge. Must've been pretty impressed with the total package I'd say.

Some more Nsight... he is ranked by many as the #1 all around JUCO player - and just flat out flies like Redout said - some have clocked him even sub 4.2.....uhhhh ok... whatever that looks like! So when you combine that with his size..... good night.

Apparently grades arent an issue with him either, so no worries there. All praise the mighty Cally!!

Holy crap I cant believe this acutally happned!! Not to blow my own unit here... I mean.. anyway, this is how I repsoned a few hrs ago to redouts questions about how a loss effex recruit..

Yes this sux but I actually dont think it has as much of an effect as we would think. Hopefully the recruit is looking at the whole picture, and takes other aspects into consideration like overall experience - the facilities, crowd, atmosphere, coaches, potential.. which all bode well for us. Yes last night probably had a bit of a damper on it, but maybe that could also say to him "damn imagine if they won this place would be nuts.. i could really make a difference here and be a hero" type stuff

I know recruits can be fickle, but the good part is that since he said he is 100% committed, he isnt supposed to have ANY other official visits. If he does, we can revoke our offer to him and pursue someone else. So that wouldnt really stop someone if they truly wanted to go somewhere else.. but the cool thing is that we were his first visit!! So if he can say he is 100% after ONE visit and doesnt care about going anywhere else he could be pretty solid!! This is so cool.. B) Let the snowballl effect begin.....

A little snippet from OWH article,

The news apparently ignited quite a celebration.

"Right when I told him (Callahan) just grabbed me out of my seat and gave me a big hug," Bowman said. "We went right away and told the athletic director. The other coaches were in a meeting, but he knocked on the door to tell them.

"I had no idea so many people were in there. It was a little wild. People were running everywhere, even out of the bathroom to shake my hand."

A lightning-fast cornerback and wide receiver at the New Mexico Military Institute, Bowman made the pledge during his first visit of the recruiting season. He spurned offers from Oklahoma, South Carolina and Texas Tech.

He is the Huskers' 10th known oral commitment for the class of 2005 and the first junior college player.

• 2 weeks later...