Big Red Breakfast, 11/25

Blackshirt

The below is not a verbatim quote of Ron's speech at the breakfast. It is second-hand and may not be completely accurate, however, the general message is correct. Please let me know if you are aware of any discrepancies that need to be altered.

Overall though, it makes for some interesting speculation, as he provides a bunch of inferences to read into. <_<

Big Red Breakfast

11/25/03

Ron Brown:

Good morning, nice to see you all here. Really appreciate your loyalty, support. This was a meeting that I didn’t know I was supposed to be at. Marvin Sanders and I flipped a coin and he won and was supposed to be here, but his mother died a few days ago and that’s why he’s not here today. Please put Marvin in your prayers.

Quite frankly, there is a little different flavor in the air. A lot of things on the internet and in the paper about the status of our coaching staff and our team. OWH asked what I thought of the Sunday article in the Lincoln Journal Star – the Lord will direct our paths. There will be people that will try to put pressure on your life, they will cause you to doubt who you are, no matter what your record is. It’s an interesting life. A few years ago, I had the opportunity to interview Tom Landry at the end of his life. He said – and he got emotional – I came into work one day and read in the newspaper that Jerry Jones had fired me – and it was true. He was arguably one of the greatest coaches ever – and was forced out of the business. Very few people ever retire – they tell you they have – but most of them have either quit or been fired. I bring this up only because I know it’s an issue right now, for me not to bring it up today would be kind of silly. I go back to the verse – trust in the Lord with all of your heart. In all your ways acknowledge him, bank your life on his shoulders, be willing to fall into his arms. He will direct your paths. I stand here today with joy in my heart, knowing that’s how I want to live my life. My path today is to coach as hard as I can, be able to look my players in the eye. They are reading the same things that we all are. Don’t be influenced and swayed by what other people think of you. What’s been in the paper has made me strong – you will see the testament of true character when you’re being squeezed. Bring it on! I put my trust in the Lord, not in the athletic administration, not in what other people think. <Reference to scene from Braveheart> – William Wallace is ready to be executed – he has been so powerful, and has caused such a stir – he says a prayer the night before he is to die – Lord, help me to die well. I don’t know what is going to happen, we haven’t heard anything. But no matter what happens, I want to die well and with character. If you are ready to die well, you are going to live well.

Yesterday’s practice was very good. We are using the outward pressure to focus even better. They see that their coaches are not afraid of what other people think, there is real freedom there. What the press is saying can make you bitter or make you better. This is far more important.

Mike Vedral came to visit me recently. Started to talk about all the benefits that he got from playing Nebraska football. He never started, never got a national championship, never experienced the glory days. But what he did experience was his teammates, the program, the coaches, the character he gained, married Matt Turman’s sister, had kids and a job, is giving back to the community. You realize that the national championships never solve any problems that you have, they are really meaningless – what’s really valuable is the stuff that you can hang your hat on. To play and coach as hard as you can, that honors God. There is no guarantee and there is no value placed on your life because of that. May sound like I’m preaching, but I don’t really care. *applause*

Don’t ever leave this football program and think that’s all about wins and losses – every single coach and player that’s played there has been able gain and stand for things that really last forever. Next time you think about putting someone out on their ear, think about your own self being fired. Next time you think a player should be out of there, think about if someone was saying that about your own son or daughter – put things into perspective. It’s easy when you don’t have to compete. We don’t have a chance on Friday according to many people. Put the pressure into perspective and use it to make you better.

Colorado has a lot to play for. They win this game, they go to a bowl. They’ve beaten us two years in a row. They will be pumped up, playing at home. Everybody loves when a team that is supposed to be cast down rises up and overcomes the odds. Our team has a chance. Everyone is questioning who we are, we have a chance for resurrection. I may be preaching to the choir, but sometimes the choir needs to be preached to as well. :lol:

Questions for Ron:

1. Is Barney Cotton the total complete offensive coordinator – is he being questioned by Frank?

Frank has totally endorsed Barney. He’s had difficult circumstances to work under –our o-line has been decimated with injuries and other reasons that they aren’t playing – it’s been a tough deal, which affects the entire offense. Easy to look at numbers, but you have to look at what we’ve had to work with. We are in the top 10 in rushing offense. Our passing game has potential, but dropped below 50% after the KSU game. Offense has been up and down, but we haven’t turned the ball over too much. Have not been consistent enough, particularly in scoring points. But I wouldn’t put that all on Barney Cotton.

2. Thoughts on the young receivers?

I am thrilled with those guys, I think they have improved. Have good quickness and speed. KSU has good secondary and our guys ran by them. They are tough, they will bang you around. Good group for the future.

3. What are you able to tell recruits about the current situation?

Be honest with them, they’ve already heard about it. There are reading things on the internet, are informed by opposing coaches who are news correspondents as well. <_< All I can go on right now is that it’s perception. Hang you hat on something that is real. Recruits have a lot more resiliency than the average person, don’t seem to get floored by things they read on the internet, etc. I sense excitement about coming to Nebraska.

4. How is recruiting going this year compared to the last few years?

I think it’s going very good, have more offers on the table than we’ve had in the last few years at this point. There are a number of kids very excited about us.

5. How was your trip to Ramstein, Germany?

That was a great opportunity, Isaiah is really playing well. We were the only school that visited him, and it was right after 9/11. When I was over there, 2 terrorists were captured in Germany – I figured it was kind of nutty that I was there at that time.

6. A lot of personal venom has been spewed by people that claim to be spokespeople for the fans at large – apology for these “fans” behavior was expressed, which doesn’t represent the majority – Ron appreciates that. It’s a sign of the times. The pressure is on you and me, what makes one man break, might be a piece of cake for another man. Analogy made to Piece of paper vs rubber ball that is squeezed – one pops back into shape, the other doesn’t. You don’t have to apologize. If pressure beats you, it’s because you were weak inside. Put on some more weight and let me prove how strong I am. When people get down on you, what do you do with that – are you a piece of paper or are you a rubber ball?

7. What do you think about the perceived need for better facilities to recruit better athletes?

Back in the old days, you really didn’t have to have better facilities – we now live in an age where we need this because people are attracted by what they see. It can get out of hand. In the end, it comes down to the character of the people that you chose to go to school with – when you get injured, what you need is people who believe you can come back, you need some love, you don’t care about the facilities at that point. It’s like marriage – it looks good on the front end, but there better be something inside, or you’ll get divorced pretty quickly. :D

8. Andy Birkel's status?

Not sure that Andy Birkel will qualify for a medical redshirt – may have played just a little too much. Still not quite ready to play. He has a tremendous talent. Still a lot to learn.

I appreciate you coming today and I want you to know that I’m not chastising anyone in here. There’s a time when you have to mount on eagles wings and fly. I love this about the game – the fact that there is pressure and adversity. Many players have the same questions that you have – our value is not defined about what other people think. For some of us it’s a hobby – but it’s not a hobby, it’s life. I’m coaching football, not to win another national title, the ultimate goal for me is to remind our players and our state of who God really is. If I’m overdoing that, I’ll be gone one day and that will be silenced. Don’t feel sorry for us, look at your own life.

God Bless You.