kriewald out

Benard

:wtf this sux!! didnt you say you know him Benard? bummer for the guy.

so who will be fillin his shoes??

Yeah I know him, not like close close but see him at some weddings and stuff. Dane todd will replace him. Fullback don't get alot of use in this offense anyways so not a real big deal like it would be in last year's.

It probally doesn't hurt us that much except in short yardage or goalline. I think that Tood or maybe Keiser could be used in his place. I don't know the percentage for sure but I believe that we use two tight ends more than we use the fullback in our offense.

We don't give it to them in short yardage or goalline. We had a chance last game and passed it or kicked a field goal. They will be lucky to get a carry all year.

Todd is a gamer, but falls into the stereotype of what kind of fullbacks Nebraska presently has versus what they had with players like Joel and Jeff Makovicka along with the Schlesingers, all the way back to Rathman.

From Willie Miller to today, Nebraska hasn't had that complete fullback that can run, block and catch balls coming out of the backfield.

Grant Miller, who will be brought up to serve as second string until Kriewald returns, was thought to be that kind of fullback, but has never panned out and doesn't seem nearly as physical as you would assume your fullbacks might be.

Todd is good as is Kriewald and both are dependable, but Nebraska is still a ways from having that total fullback like they had not so very long ago.

Quote: So if the FB is not a vital pos in the WCO why did a Tom Rathman have such an impact at San Fran.. playing for the father of the WCO himself??

Maybe you've answered your own question. Bill Walsh was the father of the WCO not the ugly stepchild. Walsh like many great coaches knows you have to use every weapon possible in your arsenal to win. A fullback is very vital to the team in my opinion even if he doesn't run the ball much. The fullback in most passing plays is supposed to pick up the blitzing linebacker. Because of their size, they are more able to do this better than a halfback. Also, the fullback needs to touch the ball 5-10 times a game just to keep the defense honest. If the QB gets flushed out of the pocket, they need a dump off receiver which is typically the fullback if the halfback is running a route.

If I were the QB, I would want the best possible fullback available out there protecting my backside. I don't care what anyone says, the fullback is a very important position.