Another Winnable Game Lost

Callahan had his team well prepared. The offense and the defense look sharp, were executing well early, and were motivated. Two bad play calls cost them the game:

1. Third and three, call a short slant into traffic where three Auburn guys were? Intercepted, resulted in a 14 point swing. This also let the air out of the Husker Momentum. Marlon Lucky was averaging 6 yards a carry at that point. Why not just hand it off to him twice to get the first down? I have no idea why Callahan kept calling those short passes into heavy traffic. Auburn could not stop the run, so they had all their cover guys up on the line of scrimmage. Why force the ball into heavy traffic? Horrible play calling. If you are going to pass, go play action and throw the bomb for a quick score.

2. UNBELIEVABLE to call a fake punt on your own 30 yard line early in the game. I have never seen such a moronic coaching decision, pro, college, or otherwise. Punt the ball and play field position.

These two play calls cost Nebraska the game. After that, they lost their motivation, confidence, and sharpnes. Just goes to show you how devastating turnovers can be, and how a couple plays can be the difference between winning and losing, especially if you are a good, but not great team and need to play error free football to win games.

Sigh

Callahan had his team well prepared. The offense and the defense look sharp, were executing well early, and were motivated. Two bad play calls cost them the game:

1. Third and three, call a short slant into traffic where three Auburn guys were? Intercepted, resulted in a 14 point swing. This also let the air out of the Husker Momentum. Marlon Lucky was averaging 6 yards a carry at that point. Why not just hand it off to him twice to get the first down? I have no idea why Callahan kept calling those short passes into heavy traffic. Auburn could not stop the run, so they had all their cover guys up on the line of scrimmage. Why force the ball into heavy traffic? Horrible play calling. If you are going to pass, go play action and throw the bomb for a quick score.

It's an option by Taylor to throw to the player he feels is open. Poor decision by Taylor. I love the call.

2. UNBELIEVABLE to call a fake punt on your own 30 yard line early in the game. I have never seen such a moronic coaching decision, pro, college, or otherwise. Punt the ball and play field position.

These two play calls cost Nebraska the game. After that, they lost their motivation, confidence, and sharpnes. Just goes to show you how devastating turnovers can be, and how a couple plays can be the difference between winning and losing, especially if you are a good, but not great team and need to play error free football to win games.

Sigh

The play worked. An excellent call, that took huge balls that possible could have went for big yardage with Shanle, great speed, had THE PLAYER caught it.

I love gutsy calls. He's a great head coach because he trusts and loves his players. He trusted his players to play the game without worrying about making mistakes. That's a great quality to have as a coach...TRUST!!!!!!!!Unfortunately, PLAYERS aren't perfect and sometime make mistakes. Life goes on.

It's an option by Taylor to throw to the player he feels is open. Poor decision by Taylor. I love the call.

Sigh

The play worked. An excellent call, that took huge balls that possible could have went for big yardage with Shanle, great speed, had THE PLAYER caught it.

I love gutsy calls. He's a great head coach because he trusts and loves his players. He trusted his players to play the game without worrying about making mistakes. That's a great quality to have as a coach...TRUST!!!!!!!!Unfortunately, PLAYERS aren't perfect and sometime make mistakes. Life goes on.

Yep, it's never the coaches fault.

It was a bonehead call, regardless of whether it worked or not.

Plain stupidity.

Yep, it's never the coaches fault.

It was a bonehead call, regardless of whether it worked or not.

Plain stupidity.

Actually, the call was pretty good - the execution was not. Given the down and distance, and the time in the game, making that call at that time makes sense. The percentages are that Auburn wouldn't be ready for it, and had it worked, it would have been a huge boon to the momentum.