A line of hope

A line of hope

By STEVEN M. SIPPLE / Lincoln Journal Star

Wednesday, Jan 03, 2007 - 12:19:07 am CST

Nebraska's Matt Slauson (70) watches the final minutes of the Huskers' 17-14 loss to Auburn in the Cotton Bowl on Monday. (Jill Peitzmeier)

If championship football indeed begins up front with the linemen, it’s no wonder Nebraska’s offensive players are excited about 2007.

“I think the offensive line will be our foundation,” said junior tackle Carl Nicks, one of seven returning Husker offensive linemen who started at least two games this season. “I think it’ll be the best part of our whole offense.”

Sophomore guard/tackle Matt Slauson, an 11-game starter this season, agreed.

“Our future is we have a lot of young guys who are beasts,” he said.

In addition to Nicks and Slauson, Nebraska offensive linemen who started at least twice in 2006 are sophomores Andy Christensen, Mike Huff and Lydon Murtha and juniors Chris Patrick and Brett Byford. Freshman Jacob Hickman started once.

If that weren’t enough, Nebraska coaches have raved about three true freshman linemen who sat out this season as redshirts: guards Cruz Barrett and Keith Williams and tackle D.J. Jones.

“Keith Williams is a big-time player,” Slauson said of the 6-foot-5, 315 pounder. “We’re going to have so much talent and so much size, it’s going to be a lot of fun to watch.”

Slauson spoke as Nebraska players boarded team buses following the 22nd-ranked Huskers’ 17-14 Cotton Bowl loss to No. 10 Auburn on Monday in Dallas. NU finished the season with a 9-5 record, including 6-2 in the Big 12 — good for first place in the North Division.

Next season, Nebraska will face stern September tests against 2006 Bowl Championship Series qualifiers Wake Forest on the road and Southern California in Lincoln. The Huskers, however, will return a wealth of experienced players, including 10 of their top 11 receivers and all four of their leading rushers.

Sam Keller, a transfer from Arizona State, is the leading candidate to replace Zac Taylor as starting quarterback.

Meanwhile, Nebraska returns 10 of its top 16 tacklers from this season. The key losses are strongside linebacker Stewart Bradley, free safety Andrew Shanle and the four defensive line starters — ends Adam Carriker and Jay Moore and tackles Ola Dagunduro and Barry Cryer.

Although Nebraska dropped its final two games this season, the Huskers spoke with a lot of optimism about the future, even though they wasted prime opportunities to beat both Auburn and Oklahoma in the Dec. 2 league championship game.

“I don’t think it sets us back,” Carriker, a likely first-round NFL Draft selection, said of the Cotton Bowl defeat. “Obviously, it would have been nice to win, to beat a top 10 team. We definitely closed the gap this year against a lot of top 10s. I think it will just drive the guys to lift harder, run faster, just get better, get more ready for next year.”

Nebraska coach Bill Callahan made clear he sees young players making progress throughout the program.

“I’ve got a lot of confidence in this team as it grows and matures heading into next season,” the coach said. “I’m awfully confident we’ll get better and break through at some point. There’s no question in my mind about that.”

Reach Steven M. Sipple at 473-7440 or ssipple@journalstar.com.

I hope these guys will continue to gel with each other and be the dominating line that NU is use to having.

This will be the Best O-line we have had since 95 or 97....doubt me....just look at the size speed and depth of the 2 and 3 deep roster....there are NFL calibre players everywhere

and then you factor in the return of Jackson/Lucky/Glenn/Wilson and the freshmen coming in.

also factor in the Lee/Keller upgrade at QB and Look out! ! ! ! ! ! ! !