Stupid Lottery Winner

Irregular News for 01.11.07

Houston, TX -- Houston police are questioning four people who police say may have stolen several lottery scratch-off tickets from a convenience store. One of those being questioned apparently tried to cash in one of those tickets at the same store.

Tai Nguyen was so worried about the safety of his clerk that he came immediately to the store when she called following the robbery Tuesday morning. It was about 4am when three armed men got away with about $500 worth of lottery tickets, cigarettes and cash from the store on Ella near Airtex in northwest Harris County. So Nguyen was a little startled when a few hours later, a man walked into the store wanting to cash in a Texas Hold 'Em lottery ticket.

"That Hold 'Em ticket was one that we lost," said Nguyen. "I know that's the ticket that belonged to me. I know it because I know the number, I know that ticket."

Nguyen went to the back and called police. The man was still standing at the counter when authorities arrived.

"They didn't really help us, but they didn't help themselves either," said Capt. Mark Herman with the Precinct 4 Constables Office.

Capt. Herman was more than willing to take the man with the stolen lottery ticket into custody. But there was a twist. Police had to evacuate the store after the man refused to come out.

"We did not have any communication with him other than just visual," said Capt. Herman. "We could see him standing inside. We didn't know if he was armed or anything. So we called for a canine unit."

At the same time, authorities went to a four-car accident on the Sam Houston Tollway at Stuebner-Airline. Lottery tickets were strewn across the pavement. Three people were taken into custody. The lottery tickets and other stolen property were from the same convenience store.

The strange chain of events has baffled customers.

"You have to be a square dummy to go to the same store you just robbed (to cash) a lottery ticket," laughed customer Sam Miles.

source