callahan wants better returns

Benard

Three punt returns for 8 yards? Three kickoff returns for 25 yards?

Figure those Saturday night statistics into Nebraska's already disappointing numbers and you have to start wondering why the Huskers can't seem to put any punch into their return games.

"I would love to see more returns," NU Coach Bill Callahan said Tuesday. "And we work hard at it. That's an area that we emphasize, and we want to get better at, believe me."

For the season, the Huskers:

• Are averaging 7.6 yards per punt return, 11th best in the Big 12 and 82nd in NCAA Division I-A. They haven't finished a season that low since 1979 (5.7).

• Are averaging 19.8 yards per kickoff return. That's seventh in the Big 12 and 62nd nationally, and well off the past three-season averages of 24.3, 22.3 and 25.2.

The NU staff is going with Santino Panico on punt returns, valuing his sure hands. But the freshman is averaging just 4.3 yards on six returns and has signaled for a fair catch seven times in three games.

"The thing we want to do is make sure we keep possession of the football," said Defensive Coordinator Kevin Cosgrove, who works with the punt returners. "Santino's done an outstanding job of that in some difficult situations. As he becomes more comfortable back there, we'll work on getting him more up the field, and he'll be more productive."

The Huskers started the season trying Cory Ross and Kade Pittman, with Panico a possible redshirt. They've decided that less work is better for Ross - NU's starting I-back - and Pittman mishandled two kicks in the season opener.

"I'm still back there and still catching them in practice," Ross said. "Whenever my name's called upon to do something, I'm ready to do it. But they're trying to keep me healthy, and I'm fine with that."

Nebraska's yardage was hurt in the 14-8 win over Kansas by penalties on both a punt and kickoff return. David Horne also had an 8-yard kickoff return that he could have let go into the end zone.

Backup I-back Tierre Green has handled the other 12 kickoff returns, averaging 20.8 yards with a long of 28. The redshirt freshman has shown some promise and possesses breakaway speed.

But as the Huskers struggle, four Big 12 teams are averaging 23 yards or better on kickoff returns, and seven are at 10.0 or better on punts.

"It is a concern," Callahan said.

If he'd put some better people on them he might get better results.

I would love to see Ross or probably Green to return some kicks. I would prefer Green to save Ross for running in the offense. Don't need him banged up pulling double duty.

I would love to see anyone besides panico. It's frustrating when you know wherever they punt it is where we are going to start from. I'd still like to see fab,bullocks, grixby, jackson, green try it.

I would love to see Ross or probably Green to return some kicks. I would prefer Green to save Ross for running in the offense. Don't need him banged up pulling double duty.

I would love to see anyone besides panico. It's frustrating when you know wherever they punt it is where we are going to start from. I'd still like to see fab,bullocks, grixby, jackson, green try it.

One thing I could say about Panico is that he catches the ball. Return yards don't matter if you can't secure the ball.

I would love to have Josh Bullocks back there. I am not for sure what his stats were for the bowl game but I think they were better than four yards per return. My biggest concern is that our defense is on the field for over half the game and that Bullocks or any defensive starter back there returning punts might get tired or injuried.

I would love to have Josh Bullocks back there. I am not for sure what his stats were for the bowl game but I think they were better than four yards per return. My biggest concern is that our defense is on the field for over half the game and that Bullocks or any defensive starter back there returning punts might get tired or injuried.

Like I say it's hard to worry about someone getting injured. I can see not having your starting iback back there but other than that anyone is fair game. I mean does anyone remember groce? Hell he was on punt return, punt coverages, not to mention a hell of a corner. If you don't want to go with a starter then go with a jackson, mccray, defrand type.

Do you think Grixby or McPherson could get the job done.

If I was Bill, I don't think that I would put a DB back there for this game. They are going to have their hands full against a very good offense. I would have them watch as much film and practice as they can rather than having them learn something new this week. Any other week, then I would be all for having them trying out for the punt return job.