Bathroom Lockdown

Irregular News for 03.09.07

Tampa, FL -- A Tampa high school has closed its bathrooms after they were vandalized last week, forcing some students to go to extremes to find relief.

Freedom High School officials have locked down every restroom in the school except one after swastikas, writings and other types of vandalism were discovered on the walls.

Students said they now have to wait in long lines to go to the bathroom, causing them to be late for -- and sometimes even miss -- class.

"We're all humans. We all go to the bathroom," a female student said. "I had to take 10 to 20 minutes out of class to go wait in line."

"They are really strict. If you're not in your seat, it's a tardy," another student said.

Tardies can result in detention or an all-day in-school suspension, Local 6 News reported.

Some students told Local 6 News that they have relieved themselves in the bushes outside the school or even into a plastic bottle.

"I sometimes save the bottles and pee in those if I have to," a male student said.

"I've seen people peeing in the bushes. It's getting out of control," a student said.

School administrators confirmed to Local 6 News off camera that the restrooms have been locked, which didn't sit well with many parents.

"That's unacceptable. You need to go to the bathroom sometimes," a parent said.

"Two thousand students? One bathroom? That's a little out there," a student said.

It's not known when the restrooms will reopen.

source