Wow what a day

Honestly I like Ruud. I think he is a good player and I don't think these coaches have any qualms about putting the best players on the field. Why would there be a conspiracy? These coaches want to win games just like we want them to win games, if there were a better option than they would go with it. Maybe Ruud doesn't hit the hardest, and he isn't the fastest, but he is always in the right position, and I seem to remember Octavian making some stupid plays last year.

Ya, how did he get picked for any watch list.IMO, whether he or we will admit it, most of his noteriety is from Big Bro, and his name. In regard to remembering interceptions, and in regard to remembering him making big plays,I also remember him looking for a place to fall down, because he was too gassed to finish a return run. I've said it, and I'll stand by my opinion that although he is being picked to any preseason watch lists, he is at best, the 3rd best linebacker on the team, and probablly not that high, if Dillard is back to 100%.

Travis9, I just wanted to deflect some of the heat you recieved for your opinion to me. LOL

While i tend to agree with HuskerHank, it is our opinion. I agree that Ruud is at best 4th within our linebacking corp.

Yes, he doesnt make mistakes. He is in good position, he is fundamentally and technically sound.

What he isnt, is scary, feared, schemed for. Great Defenses have a presence. That presence is put forth by sacks and tackles for loss, and vicisious hits. Hits that let the offense know we are there. Hits that send a message.

Octo makes mistakes at times but teams know he is there and look for him. they looked for Carriker, and i believe they will look for Asante and Dillard.

Ruud is just there. I dont think he is going to hurt us by any means, i just think that to get back to dominance we need violent, aggressive defenders, not technically sound LB's that grab pads, hang on and pray. It really isnt that good of statistic when your LB has more half tackles per game than solos in fact the ratio is about 3 halves to 1 solo

Not disagreeing with your assessment at all. Technique and fundamentals don't necessarily equate to good players.

If it's Ruud vs. Octavien that we're talking about, though...I have to take Ruud. Potentially, Octavien is a monster. Realistically...all I've seen is a guy who gets hurt easily and ends up out of position a lot. And I don't really like Ruud that much.

And you know that right now I take Swift over the other wideouts. Purify will probably pass him by, though (and that is FINE if he does...I like Purify a lot!). Hopefully the young guys will show out...I want a sick receiving core. Just needs to be proven.

And I really think Shanle is worse than Ricketts. Not saying Ricketts was good, by any stretch...but I felt like our safety play last year just left our corners out to dry.

I think I'll throw my two cents in and probably get pasos back. :clap

Bo Rudd is much better than he looked at times. Remember that our corners were beaten like whipping posts all year. With that being said, every time I see Bo making plays, I think "Dam I wish he would light someone up, he's huge". BUT, I thought the same think about Barret. Barret was very intellegent and had very good instincts. If I remember correctly, Barrets draft status was a real question at that time. Now he does a great job. That is why he is the all time tackle leader for Nebraska. I could be wrong, but I don't remember Barret having many crushing blows either. I do like the entire Ruud family, but, neither Barret or Bo hit like there dad did. He was an ANIMAL! Also I absolutely love the hits that Brandenburg has had. Now that kid hits like a Mac truck. I was a linebacker myself and love to see the big hits. But, if you have linebackers in the right place at the right time, you really can't beat that. Octo did not start alot because he was out of position and not disaplined enough to stick to his reads. This happens with alot of players that have his kind of ability to make plays like he does. But the coaches want everyone in position and just doing their part all the time. (this does make a solid D if you can get that from everyone) Bo is in position and gets the job done most of the time. I like what they are trying to do, get all of them on the field and make schemes that utilize their individual talents. Last yr I heard alot about the coaches calling plays that did not utilize the personel they had. This yr looks alot different. I can't wait to watch them all play.

:bonez:bonez:bonez:bonez

GBR

Pomeroy,

Technique and fundamentals and being in the right spots does not necessarily equate to good players.

THAT responds to the entire post as well.

remember Pat Ricketts (as bad as shanle) he had technique and fundamentals and lined up in the right spot all the time

Ricketts was FAR worse