Trev's take on the Tech game

Trev's Take, 10/8

Trev Alberts, a former Nebraska All-American outside linebacker, is in his third season as a college football analyst for ESPN. The 34-year-old Iowa native will share his thoughts on the Huskers each week.

"I'll tell you what, Texas Tech is going to be a heck of a test for Nebraska. You look at Oklahoma's season, and Texas Tech was the Sooners' most difficult game.

"I know Texas Tech is going to score a lot of points, because they score on everybody. Defenses are so worried about (quarterback) Sonny Cumbie throwing to all those receivers, and then (running back) Taurean Henderson slips out of the backfield for a sizable gain.

"I think it's going to come down to whether Nebraska is able to move the ball. When your offense puts so much pressure on your defense, eventually the defense starts to break down. It has a cumulative effect.

ESPN analyst and former Husker Trev Alberts. 

"Nebraska's offense has put too much pressure on its defense. At what point does it start having an impact? I believe the fellas on offense need to look at each other and decide that it's time for some growth. It's week five, and the argument that they're running a new system begins to hold less water as the season goes on.

"I predict a 24-17 win by Texas Tech. I just don't think Nebraska's offense is at a point where it can take pressure off of the defense."

(Alberts made it a point to congratulate Husker senior linebacker Barrett Ruud, who's eight tackles shy of passing Jerry Murtaugh to become the school's all-time leader).

"I know how hard it is to stay healthy and fight through the pain of injuries," Alberts said. "Jerry Murtaugh was a great player. If you break his record, you must be something pretty special."

http://www.journalstar.com/articles/2004/1...02875878483.txt