with the 13th pick in the ...

From LJS:

St. Louis entered the NFL Draft intent on using its first pick on the best defender available.

The Rams decided Adam Carriker was their man.

“I’m just kind of in a haze, on cloud nine,” the former Nebraska defensive end said Saturday shortly after St. Louis selected him 13th overall.

Carriker is the highest Nebraska draft pick since defensive end Grant Wistrom was taken by the Rams sixth overall in 1998.

Although the 6-foot-6, 300-pound Carriker played defensive end at Nebraska and idolizes Wistrom, he likely will play tackle and possibly nose tackle in St. Louis’ 4-3 scheme, according to Rams head coach Scott Linehan.

“I tried to keep this (pick) somewhat of a secret; he was the guy I was hoping would be there,” Linehan told reporters in St. Louis. “I thought it would be 50-50 that he would be there. There were two other teams who showed quite a bit of interest in him.“

One of those teams was San Francisco, which had the 11th overall selection. Carriker is considered a prototype defensive end for a 3-4 scheme, which the 49ers use. But San Francisco opted for inside linebacker Patrick Willis of Mississippi.

After Buffalo used the 12th pick on former California running back Marshawn Lynch, St. Louis took Carriker, who registered 52 tackles last season, including 16 for loss and seven sacks.

Carriker’s versatility appealed to the Rams.

“In a crunch, he could probably play every position for us along the defensive line,” Linehan said. “The great thing about Adam is, he fills a lot of categories for us.“

St. Louis expects Carriker to add at least 10 pounds before training camp begins in July. Linehan rated run-stopping as Carriker’s foremost attribute.

The Rams clearly need help on defense, as they finished 2006 ranked No. 23 in the league in total defense, allowing 335.1 yards per game. They were No. 28 in scoring defense (23.8) and No. 31 against the run (145.4) while finishing with an 8-8 record, good for second place in the NFC West.

Carriker, who watched the draft on television from his hometown Kennewick, Wash., visited Rams officials in St. Louis the second week of April. So he wasn’t surprised when the Rams called to inform him of their selection.

Some details were lost Saturday in Carriker’s excitement. For one thing, he wasn’t sure which Rams coach or official called.

“And I don’t even know what the guy told me, to tell you the truth,” Carriker said.

Carriker likely will command an initial contract worth at least $7 million. By way of comparison, Philadelphia last year paid nearly $8 million in various bonuses and base salary to defensive tackle Brodrick Bunkley, the 14th overall selection.

Carriker was the sixth defender selected overall Saturday and the fourth defensive lineman. In St Louis, he will join at least two former Huskers — offensive lineman Richie Incognito and defensive end Trevor Johnson, a Lincoln Northeast graduate.

Carriker celebrated Saturday with about 20 family members and friends. He said his goal is to start immediately, “although I know I’m going to have to earn it.” Among St. Louis’ best defenders is tackle La’Roi Glover, a 12-year veteran and six-time Pro Bowler.

The Rams also feature 10-year veteran end Leonard Little, who had 13 sacks last season.

David Carriker, the player’s father, was just glad Adam wasn’t drafted by a New York team.

“That’s clear across the country, and we’re not city people,” the elder Carriker said.