Wehrle Needs to GO?

I listen to or watch every game and I bleed red but I have had it with this years team and the apparent attitude of are so called top players.

Clean house Anderson or leave your self. VanHorn goes to AR and now has a top ten team. Childress goes to AM and has a top 20 team. Anderson stays at NE and we finish in the bottom half of the Bog 12 ( very possible).

got your wish. so this is the third starter in the last two years to be kicked off the team. way to go anderson!

How do you fault Anderson? Werle didn't do what he was expected, Anderson benched him, and the little kid got all misty eyed and told everyone he's taking his ball with him.

I don't really blame Anderson for what is happening, he might have a relaxed clubhouse (not quite sure) but that is a big help on recuirting. Almost never everything is perfect I just wished that our kids would jsut stay out of trouble and just play the game.

The Nebraska baseball team’s weekend ended like it started - with a loss.

No, they didn’t play a game at Haymarket Park Sunday afternoon. Because of a soppy field and the threat of more rain, officials canceled the Huskers’ series finale against 18th-ranked Coastal Carolina. But NU coach Mike Anderson did announce that he’d dismissed preseason All-America shortstop Ryan Wehrle from the team.

On Friday, Wehrle had been pulled from an 8-3 loss to the Chanticleers after flying out to end the sixth inning, then sent to the clubhouse to let his emotions cool off. He was not in uniform for Saturday’s 5-4 loss, because Anderson had told him that morning he was no longer a part of the program.

Essentially, Anderson then slept on his decision before making it public Sunday.

The issues that needed to be resolved were mine more than anything else, not his,” he said. “I just wanted to make sure.”

On Saturday, Anderson said a combination of things led to Wehrle’s dismissal. As a freshman, Wehrle had been ticketed for driving under the influence and given a three-game suspension. While that’s the only known legal incident Wehrle’s had since he’s been at Nebraska, Anderson tried to make it clear Sunday that he’d been lenient with some other unspecified issues involving the Papillion-La Vista graduate.

He even went so far as to admit regret for giving Wehrle numerous opportunities to meet his expectations.

“I wouldn’t say it came to a head,” Anderson said of the situation. “Really what it is, I finally made that decision. I finally made that decision after many, many, many, many, many times.”

Last season, Wehrle hit .367 and led Nebraska in four other offensive categories while earning third-team All-America recognition, then was an 18th-round draft pick of the Cincinnati Reds.

He opted to return to NU, but missed fall practice after having knee surgery and was unable to regain his form of 2006. Wehrle, who started 42 of Nebraska’s 45 games this season, was hitting just .241 and had more strikeouts (23) than RBIs (18).

Wehrle’s mom, Sue, said she was disappointed that things couldn’t work out differently, but was optimistic about her son’s future.

Anderson noted it wasn’t easy to part ways with Wehrle, but acknowledged he was worried the situation would become a distraction, as some players had discussed it with him.

“We’ve had situations this year - not talking about Ryan Wehrle - that are difficult,” said Anderson, alluding to his suspending four players and dismissing pitcher Mike Harmelink for legal issues earlier this season. “If you know our program and you know what I’m trying to do with kids, that’s always difficult.”

Without Wehrle, Nebraska will likely turn to junior Craig Corriston to handle the bulk of the shortstop duties. Corriston, who’s started 32 games at third base, was scheduled to start at shortstop Sunday. Jake Mort, who was out for nearly a month, started at third on Saturday and figures to split time with Jeff Tezak, who’s been the designated hitter in 29 games.

“There’s never good timing to have stuff like this happen,” said second baseman Jake Opitz, a close friend of Wehrle’s. “It’s something we’ve got to overcome. Obviously, he’s a great player.”

Nebraska (25-20) has seven regular-season games remaining, including Big 12 series against Baylor this weekend and May 18-20 at Kansas. The Huskers also play Creighton at Omaha’s Rosenblatt Stadium on May 15.

Link

Wehrle is now the second kid this year dismmissed for what appear to be alcohol related issues. This is not Anderson's fault but he is responcible for setting expectations in the club house and apparently its not been clear to these kids. I have long suspected that Wehrle had more then just a passing issue with Alcohol.

NE season is basically over and if we get to regionals we will go two and out!

I do put that on Anderson!

We have done nothing since losing the best Coach we ever had here, yeah thats right Childress!

The University and Anderson need to get a handle on this alcohol stuff with these kids!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wehrle was a big baby and threw a tantrum for getting pulled from a game, if thats his attitude get rid of him. He is the one blowing his draft chances.

As for Anderson, IMO his main problems as a coach is that he does not/cannot bring along talent. His main source of recruiting the last few years has been JUCO players. He takes players that have been brought along by other coaches for a year or two.

Maybe if we had players staying together 2,3,4 years we would have a much better team. Now I know that with the draft that is not always possible but you can still keep a core together. I like Anderson, but I think its time to rethink recruiting or hit the road.

Wehrle is now the second kid this year dismmissed for what appear to be alcohol related issues. This is not Anderson's fault but he is responcible for setting expectations in the club house and apparently its not been clear to these kids. I have long suspected that Wehrle had more then just a passing issue with Alcohol.

NE season is basically over and if we get to regionals we will go two and out!

I do put that on Anderson!

We have done nothing since losing the best Coach we ever had here, yeah thats right Childress!

The University and Anderson need to get a handle on this alcohol stuff with these kids!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wehrle hasn't had publoc problems with achohol it is all attidude.