Commit #15

Interesting story. What makes it even more interesting is that it hasn't been reported by any recruting site at all.....

http://www.nola.com/sports/t-p/index.ssf?/....xml&coll=1

Ehret athlete Harper picks Cornhuskers

Wednesday, July 11, 2007By Mike Strom

Ehret's Eric Harper has the perfect graduation present awaiting him in December, a football scholarship to play for the Nebraska Cornhuskers.

Harper, a tall, rangy performer who played seven positions in 2006 and earned All-Metro honors as a linebacker, verbally committed to play for Nebraska on Tuesday.

At 19, Harper has exceeded the age limit to play in the Louisiana High School Athletic Association, but he is qualified academically to receive an NCAA scholarship and will do so once he earns his high school diploma this winter, Ehret Coach Billy North said.

"All he has to do is graduate." North said. "He's only been in high school for three years. He's going to graduate in December, and he'll be on the Nebraska campus in January."

Coach Bill Callahan's Cornhuskers are getting a player who would have commanded a spot on all of the state's blue-chip lists this season had his eligibility not expired, North said. Harper also had offers from Texas A&M and Mississippi State, North said, and he drew strong interest from LSU, Tulane, Auburn, Kansas and Louisiana Tech.

"I just liked what I heard from Nebraska," Harper said in acknowledging that he committed to the Cornhuskers without having seen their Lincoln campus except for pictures via the school's Web site. Harper's lone unofficial visit was to LSU.

"I chose Nebraska because they have great tradition and a great history of (fielding) championship teams," Harper said. "They're a great academic school, also. As far as field work and school work, they put you right where you need to be. They're really dedicated to their football players."

Harper, 6 feet 4 1/2 inches, 225 pounds, with 4.68-second speed in the 40-yard dash, played inside and outside linebacker, defensive end and was used at strong safety, tight end, wide receiver, running back, quarterback and as a kick returner.

. . . . . . .

His size and speed are outstanding but he's nowhere to be found on either Rivals or Scout, seems a bit odd. Hopefully he's one of those diamonds in the rough that our staff seems to uncover.

I believe he's not in either database because he's exceeded the age limit to play football this season, thus giving a recruiting site no chance to have a legit shot a scouting him. But his measurables are fantastic and he had several high power schools interested in him. Nice pickup!