And let "The Countdown" begin....

30 Days!!!

a couple of real shockers here :sarcasm

#30 Mike Rozier

1983 Heisman Trophy Winner

1983 Maxwell Award Winner

1983 Walter Camp Award Winner

Mike Rozier became Nebraska's second Heisman winner in 1983, when he rushed for a school-record 2,148 yards and 29 touchdowns. Rozier's 4,780 rushing yards are tops on Nebraska and Big Eight Conference career charts and his 52 touchdowns trail only Heisman winner Eric Crouch.

Rozier rewrote the Nebraska rushing and scoring record book, along with making a considerable dent in the Big Eight and NCAA books during a phenomenal senior season. Rozier was a first-round selection by both the USFL (first pick overall) and the NFL (second pick overall in the supplemental draft) after setting Nebraska's rushing records for attempts in a season (273) and career (668) and a then-school record for yards in a game (285 vs. Kansas). Rozier set Big Eight marks for yards per carry in a season (7.81) and career (7.16) and yards gained in four consecutive games (929 in his last four).

He set the Nebraska and Big Eight marks with 29 touchdowns and 174 points in 1983, while his 51 career rushing touchdowns and 312 points trail only fellow Heisman winner Eric Crouch's 59 rushing touchdowns and 368 career points among position players in the Husker record book. All 29 of Rozier's touchdowns in 1983 came on the ground, setting an NCAA record, in addition to tying the NCAA record for total touchdowns.

His 11 100-yard games in 1983 tied yet another NCAA record, shared by six others, and his 1983 total of 2,148 yards is the fifth-highest total in NCAA history. He was the second rusher in NCAA history to rush for 2,000 yards in a season. Rozier was Nebraska's first-ever NCAA rushing champion (179.0 yards per game) and its second national scoring leader (Bobby Reynolds was the first in 1950) with an average of 14.5 points per game. His career total of 4,780 yards is the 10th-best in NCAA history and ranks sixth all time at Nebraska.

Rozier set another Husker record with 2,486 all-purpose yards in 1983, topping Johnny Rodgers' 1972 total of 2,011. Named All-Big Eight as a sophomore in 1981, Rozier began to dominate as a junior when senior Roger Craig was hampered by ankle injuries. He gained a then-Husker record 1,689 rushing yards in 1982 to vault himself into the national spotlight, earning All-America and Big Eight Player-of-the-Year honors, and finishing 10th in the Heisman voting. The New Jersey native won the conference player-of-the-week award six times in his final two seasons.

More recently, Rozier was one of six Huskers named to Sports Illustrated's 85-player All-Century Team, joining Johnny Rodgers, Dean Steinkuhler, Rich Glover, Tommie Frazier and Aaron Taylor.

Rozier was voted into the College Football Hall of Fame in 2006 and will be officially inducted during ceremonies in 2007.

#30 Ahman Green

Was a three-year starter (1995-97) at the University of Nebraska

Finished career with 3,880 rushing yards and 42 touchdowns, both totals good for second place on the Cornhuskers' all-time list

Also posted 300 yards and three TDs on 35 career receptions

In three bowl games, rushed 45 times for 326 yards and three touchdowns

As a junior (1997), garnered All-Big 12 Conference recognition and was named second-team All-America by the Associated Press and The Sporting News as Nebraska captured the national championship

Also was a finalist for the 'Doak Walker Award,' the annual honor for college football's top running back

Registered 278 carries for 1,877 yards (6.8 avg.) and 22 touchdowns (a school record for juniors)

Posted 12 consecutive 100-yard games, including three contests with over 200 yards

Rumbled for 206 yards and two TDs in 42-17 Orange Bowl victory over Tennessee to help Nebraska the capture national title

Rushed 155 times for a team-leading 917 yards and seven TDs in 1996, earning third-team All Big-12 honors

Posted a career-high 214 yards and one touchdown in 1996 game against Iowa State

Enjoyed a successful freshman campaign during 1995 Cornhuskers' national championship season, rushing for 1,086 yards and 13 touchdowns on 141 carries (7.7 avg.)

Was a freshman All-America selection by Football News, in addition to earning Big Eight all-conference and 'Freshman of the Year' honors

Holds degree in geography

and who could forget...

#30 Robert Ludwick

Towering at 6'0, 178lbs, defensive end Ludwick was quick off the edge that that put large quantities of terror in opposing quarterbacks. Nicknamed "Luddy", Ludrick collected 9 1/2 sacks despite the fact that every team he faced didn't know what a forward pass was. Ludwick's effort lead Nebraska to the 1941 Rose Bowl and helped define the DE position for future stars like Trev Alberts, Grant Wistrom and of course, Bernard Thomas.

^^Darin Erstad: the reason why I've suffered as an Angels fan all these years. Except for 2002 (World Series, baby!) and this year (GOING to the World Series, baby!). Except Erstad's not on the team anymore. :( I still follow them anyway.

I'm soooo glad The Countdown is back, I really missed it while you were gone, CropDuster. Thought about trying to continue it in your stead, but thought, Nah, there's no way I could do as good a job as him.

^^Darin Erstad: the reason why I've suffered as an Angels fan all these years. Except for 2002 (World Series, baby!) and this year (GOING to the World Series, baby!). Except Erstad's not on the team anymore. :( I still follow them anyway.

I'm soooo glad The Countdown is back, I really missed it while you were gone, CropDuster. Thought about trying to continue it in your stead, but thought, Nah, there's no way I could do as good a job as him.

Well damn, thank you. It was just some dumb idea that I had a couple of weeks ago and assumed that it would last a while before a handful of you told me to knock it off. But I'm glad all of my copying, pasting, saving, Googleing and some "creative" writing has paid off. This is exactly why I love Husker sports. The people. They have steel trap memories and their enthusiasm and passion is second to none. And to think that my father was born in Iowa and I could have been a Hawkeye or Cyclone fan just gives me shivers...... :lol:

Count me as another long-time Angels fan! Wish Ersty was still with the team... but glad he's playing somewhere in MLB (and Darin just got activated off the DL this week).

And, I think The Countdown is a great idea. After trying to assist on Monday, I have great appreciation for the work done. Keep it up, CropDuster! :thumbs

29 Days!!!

Help me out on this one. Right now, the only #29 I can find with a bio and a photo is Mr. Sucker Punch himself.....

#29 Kellen Houston

2004 Second-Team ESPN the Magazine CoSIDA Academic All-American

Two-Time First-Team Academic All-Big 12 (2003, 2004)

2004 CoSIDA Academic All-District VII Team

Five-Time Big 12 Commissioner’s Fall Academic Honor Roll (2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004)

Five-Time Big 12 Commissioner’s Spring Academic Honor Roll (2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005)

Huston appeared in every game during his senior season as Nebraska’s fifth defensive back. He was listed as the No. 2 left cornerback behind NFL first-round draft pick Fabian Washington, and he made his first-ever start at Texas Tech, a game in which the Huskers featured six defensive backs in its opening defensive alignment. His 12 pass breakups ranked second on the team behind Washington (15), and they tied for the seventh-best single-season total in NU history. Huston also recorded career highs in tackles (38), tackles for loss (two) and quarterback hurries (four).

Huston was also one of Nebraska’s all-time great scholar-athletes. He became NU’s 219th academic All-American in December of 2004 when he was named to the University Division Second-Team defense by ESPN the Magazine and CoSIDA. Huston earned his undergraduate degree in pre-medicine/exercise science in December of 2004 and attended medical school at the University of Iowa.

We shall try this again....

I should be punished severly for missing this one.....damn, just take my tickets away right now and give me seats at the High School stadium in Craphatten :angry:

29 Days!!! (again)

#29 Jim Pillen

2004 Inductee, Nebraska Football Hall of Fame

Two-time First-Team All-Big Eight

Pillen started at monster for Nebraska and recorded 64 tackles and seven tackles for loss. For the second straight year, Pillen was named All-Big Eight. Pillen recovered a pair of fumbles, including Billy Sims' fumble late in the fourth quarter of Nebraska's 17-14 win over Oklahoma. In addition to his on-the-field exploits, Pillen was named first-team academic All-Big Eight and named first-team academic All-American.

Side note: the above picture was in "NIGHT OF THE TWISTERS"

This 1996 made-for-TV movie about the 1980 Grand Island tornadoes stars John Schneider of "Dukes of Hazzard" fame. His character, Jack Hatch, is a former Nebraska football star. Early in the movie, he points to a photo in his shop window.

To many a longtime Husker fan, the photo in the window may look familiar, for it is a doctored version of one that ran in Sports Illustrated after Nebraska's 1978 win over No. 1 Oklahoma. In the original, Jim Pillen is holding the ball aloft after recovering a Billy Sims fumble at the Nebraska 3-yard line to preserve the victory. Celebrating with him is Jeff Hansen, whose hit caused the fumble.

In the movie, Pillen's head is replaced by Schneider's, and his jersey number is changed from 29 to a more quarterback-like 12. (You're not alone, Mr. Pillen — the moviemakers changed Grand Island's name to Blainsworth and took a number of other liberties with Ivy Ruckman's book.)

Here's the doctored photo from the movie:

28 Days!!!

#28 Jeff Smith

2004 Inductee, Nebraska Football Hall of Fame

Four-Year NFL Veteran (Kansas City and Tampa Bay)

10th-Round Draft Pick, 1984 NFL Draft (Kansas City)

1984 All-Big Eight

A consensus All-Big Eight choice, Smith led the Big Eight in all-purpose yardage (116.1 yards per game) and was second in the conference to fellow Husker Doug DuBose in rushing (85.0 yards per game). He led the nation in rushing the first three weeks of the season, but he suffered a sprained ankle near the end of the first half against UCLA and never fully recovered. He rushed for 473 yards the first two-and-a-half games of the year, then just 462 the rest of the season. He did come back with a 165-yard effort against Colorado later in the season, but he also aggravated the ankle and was slowed the rest of the season. Smith finished second in the nation in punt returns with a 15.0-yard average on 15 punt returns. Smith finished his career as the 10th-best rusher in NU history with his 1,992 career rushing yards.

#28 Jamel Williams

Drafted by Washington Redskins (Fifth Round, 132nd Pick)

1996 Butkus Watch List Member

1996 Second-Team All-Big 12 (AP)

1996 Honorable-Mention All-ig 12 (Coaches)

1996 Preseason No. 10 Inside Linebacker in Nation (Lindy's)

Starting every game his senior season for the Huskers, Jamel posted a 1.57 electronic 10-yard dash time and a 4.51 in the 40(seventh best on the team) in winter conditioning in March, 1996 and broke the all-time Performance Index record for linebackers scoring 2,705 points. His vertical jump of 40 inches is tied for fifth best all time and is a line backer record. Williams also ran track for the Huskers during the indoor and outdoor 1995-96 seasons. He ran a personal best 6.32 in the 55 meters indoorsn and qualified for nationals where he ran a 6.39 but did not advance to semifinals. At the Big Eight outdoor meet, Williams placed sixth in the 100 meters and aided the 4x100-meter relay team to a sivler medal as the team won its second straight outdoor title. His best 100 meters time was 10.52.