An idea I had for game recording

OK guys here is the deal. Lately I've been exploring the best channels to be able to record all the games on good quality. I only have a VCR, so it looks like I will be going to the pc route, which is what I wanted anyways. I don't know much about tv tuner cards or how they work (I can hook up the cable and watch/record television just like a DVR from Dish network, right?), so if anybody has extended information they would like to share on that subject I would greatly appreciate it. Anyways, I am so excited that I will be able to record all of the games onto my pc, and then if this plan comes to fruition, I am hoping that I will make highlights for each game on youtube, game recaps (kind of like Sportscenter, where it shows highlights of the game but from the tv angle), and then make edited videos of the entire game to host on my own server, taking out the commercials, long breaks, etc. etc.

What do you guys think of this? In all honesty all I want to do is provide a free way for everyone to be able to view the ENTIRE games. I'm also going to have to become more familiar with [insert random quality freeware video editor here], but I am really going to try and make this happen......as soon as I buy a PSU so I can hook up my new hdd.

What if I uploaded them to Husker Wiki? There is a wiki extension that allows for flash video playback, and since it is a wiki I'm wondering if it will qualify under Fair Use policy...any insight as to this AR?

Only if you make the wiki inaccessble to others, I'm afraid. The Fair Use policy, in theory, allows you record content to other formats for your personal use only.

Good rule of thumb to follow...never share anything on the internet that isn't yours. If it doesn't have your name in the credits, you didn't work on it and therefore don't own any rights to it.

I WISH you could rebroadcast things like Husker games that are aired on local broadcast channels. That way we could stream the games off the net.

If you're doing this for personal use there are two easy ways that can help you get started. You can get a standalone DVD Video Recorder and plug the output of your cable/satellite box into that. For example I have the cable running into my cable box, then the output is daisy chained to our DVD Recorder via coax. At the same time the TV is fed signal from the cable box.

I also own a TV tuner in my PC. They're pretty affordable now and you just plug them into your PCI ports on the computer...connect the cable hookup to it and run the software. The one I own isn't the greatest quality but it works. The only downside to recording to your computer is it takes up a lot of space. Video files aren't small and you'll have to compress them quite a bit.

I plan on just trying to record all the games (FOR PERSONAL USE ONLY) on the DVD recorder this year. We'll see how that goes. I wish it would record HD :(

a TV tuner is the route I am going to take, probably get an ATI All-in-Wonder or WHATEVER they are called.

Also, what if I edit the broadcast video, taking out downtime in between plays and etc., and then add my name to the credits and then thank the broadcasting company and etc., will i still get raped by THE ADMINISTRATION?

record all the games you want. I just would be careful about uploading them to a server and offering them to people to download. If it were legal to do so I think you would see a decline in DVD sales for a teams' season as well as the incline of websites that provide this service for free. Why don't we see any NFL games available for download (legally)? It's been thought of before, but I would imagine it's against copyright to offer this type of service.

Just becareful...ESPN/NBC/ABC etc have a lot of money and probably pretty good attorneys ;)

If you're are set on doing this, talk to a lawyer.

record all the games you want. I just would be careful about uploading them to a server and offering them to people to download. If it were legal to do so I think you would see a decline in DVD sales for a teams' season as well as the incline of websites that provide this service for free. Why don't we see any NFL games available for download (legally)? It's been thought of before, but I would imagine it's against copyright to offer this type of service.

Just becareful...ESPN/NBC/ABC etc have a lot of money and probably pretty good attorneys ;)

If you're are set on doing this, talk to a lawyer.

or invest in a proxy software that doesn't let them figure out who you are ;)