Can Grixby Be Successful?

YES! Another Grixby thread. I was hoping there would be one today. I mean we haven't spoke of this in a good day or so.

If only the thread had an interview with Frank Solich on his thoughts on Grixby, could've killed two birds with one stone.

Everyone always says Grixby isn't good because he's 5"9, but when I see NFL games on I notice some of the best corners in the NFL aren't that tall either...

Asante Samuel- 5"10

Lito Sheppard- 5"10

Ronde Barber- 5"10

DeAngelo Hall- 5"10

Dre Bly- 5"9

etc...

hell even the best corner we've had in the last 5 years, Fabian Washington, was 5"10.

So I'm wondering if he could possibly break through with some better Safety play this year. He made some good plays a year ago, first one was his pass deflection against Texas in the endzone guarding Sweed, but he got burnt a lot more than he did good obviously.

He's got a spectacular vertical, good speed, and good athleticism.

I'm going to call Grixby my defensive breakthrough of the year because of his talent and better players around him.

Maybe I'm crazy or just dreaming but I think it's possible he becomes a good corner by seasons end.

I think you hit the nail on the head there. If safety play improves even the slightest, which it will, the corners will be able to play with soooo much more confidence!! As a corner you not only need excellent playmaking abilities, but also the confidence that even if you screw up, someone (Safety) will be there to have your back. I've said this before in another thread, but Shanle was by far the worst safety I have ever seen, EVER!! He missed tackles, got outran, and constantly left the corners out on an island. Some corners thrive on man to man, but ours do NOT!! I wish I could say they have lockdown abilities, but it just isn't there. Maybe Bowman, but definitely not Jones or Grixby!! These guys need to feel confident that the safeties will cover there 6 and with Asante, Wilson, Green or Thenarse on the field I'm sure they'll feel a lot more comfortable.

Listen to Grixby's soundbite from yesterday. Sounds like he has his head in the right place.

Courtney Grixby