Some Questions

Well, whether for good or bad, I didn't get to tune in today. In reviewing the threads, one thing that keeps recurring is the poor tackling by the Blackshirts. For anyone who listened - assuming that it was touched on - what was the problem?

I find it hard to believe that if a player could tackle last year, he suddenly forgot how to do it this year. Still, if there isn't a sufficient number of live reps in practice, fundementals can slip away.

So...

1. Was it lack of speed?

2. Lack of fundementals?

3. Being out of position?

4. Wrong scheme?

Regarding number three, usually the player(s) are a step slower than those on offense, and can't quite get into position in time.

I'm not asking to ignite a "it's the players verses the coaching" argument - rather, I'm looking for some actual analysis.

AR,

I listened to the game and, if the Jim Rose called the game right which might not be, it seemed many many times the defense was put in a position to make a play for a loss or minimal gain only to have Webb or Sproles shake the tackler like he wasn't even there.

I heard Jim say Fabian and McPherson's name many times. Such as a receiver catches a short pass, one of those two or an LB either misses the tackle or over pursues.

I think the scheme itself was decent, it just didn't get executed. I wish I could watch the game tape to confirm what I heard! There were at least a couple times where we had a blitz on and missed tackles in the backfield.

Once McPherson was called for pass inteference when Figurs beat him on a fly pattern. It sounded like the ball wasn't even catchable but he wouldn't have known that if he was just trying to catch up. I am not sure if there was another specific instance where speed was a real factor, however I am sure if our LB's had some more speed and agility we wouldn't have seen as many missed tackles. Tackling is like catching a ball in baseball. If you can't do it then how the hell did you get here?

There were a couple key penalties in the first half that hurt as well. The one I mentioned above and Josh Bullocks had an INT in the endzone, only to get it called back from a roughing the passer call. He also tried to run in out of the end zone which is stupid IMO. Someone, I don't remember who, even lined up in the neutral zone once!

The offense sputtered again. Sounded like many passes that should have been completed weren't. Plays that could have kept drives alive weren't made. Same old stuff from this years Huskers on the road. Theoffense had a couple false start penalites as well, if I remember correctly.

wrong schemes.

not trying and no fire

Don't work on tackling in practice ever.

people hurt.

not playing the right linebackers.

About the scheme - can you elaborate on that? Seriously. In the games I've seen and heard, the defenders have been in position - they just haven't made the play. If it was the scheme, they wouldn't even be in position to make the play.

wrong schemes.

not trying and no fire

Don't work on tackling in practice ever.

people hurt. 

not playing the right linebackers.

About the scheme - can you elaborate on that? Seriously. In the games I've seen and heard, the defenders have been in position - they just haven't made the play. If it was the scheme, they wouldn't even be in position to make the play.

I don't know if scheme is right. You can run about any scheme to perfection if you know it and run it right. Just like offense besides bill's.

He blitz's when we shouldn't, he plays soft zone when we should blitz. he plays 3 man rush against ttech. I mean cmon. Give me a break. WAtch a few tapes of Pelini and you will see what I mean about scheme.

I think you may be actually referring to calls within the scheme, not the scheme itself. Again, it seems that players are in position, but are unable to make the plays.

I wouldn't say their in position all the time. Against ttech it was def. the scheme. I think it is the scheme,the calls, and the emotion.

I really don't think that the scheme is the problem. Of what I heard, the defense was in position to make a number of tackles for loss or for a short gain yesterday and didn't get the tackle. I think it comes down to lack of focus on the fundamentals of the game. We continue to miss tackles, we have penalties, turnovers, and we just aren't playing with any emotion. It seems to me that when Nebraska plays at home, the defense has an added dimension to the level of emotion that they play. But when we go on the road it seems like they play with no emotion and have no fun being out there.

I really don't think that the scheme is the problem. Of what I heard, the defense was in position to make a number of tackles for loss or for a short gain yesterday and didn't get the tackle. I think it comes down to lack of focus on the fundamentals of the game. We continue to miss tackles, we have penalties, turnovers, and we just aren't playing with any emotion. It seems to me that when Nebraska plays at home, the defense has an added dimension to the level of emotion that they play. But when we go on the road it seems like they play with no emotion and have no fun being out there.

I don't think the homefield does alot. We will find out on sat. It didn't help us much against southern miss.

OUr defense played with a lot of fire and emotion against southern miss. If it wouldn't of been for the turnovers by the offense. We would of won that game. We only gave up one long pass to them. They had one other drive that resulted in points. Everything else was set up by our turnovers that gave them the ball in great field position and our defense then stopped them and held them to a field goal. You cannot blame the Southern Miss loss on our defense. The offense blew that game for us. As far as this next weekend. I am not saying that we will play with emotion but it seems to me that we play with more emotion at home than we do on the road.

OUr defense played with a lot of fire and emotion against southern miss. If it wouldn't of been for the turnovers by the offense. We would of won that game. We only gave up one long pass to them. They had one other drive that resulted in points. Everything else was set up by our turnovers that gave them the ball in great field position and our defense then stopped them and held them to a field goal. You cannot blame the Southern Miss loss on our defense. The offense blew that game for us. As far as this next weekend. I am not saying that we will play with emotion but it seems to me that we play with more emotion at home than we do on the road.

I agree the defense played well against them but their offense was so sad that we ought to of.

Which comes back to my original comment that we play with more emotion at home. I don't care who we play, we just seem to come out with more emotion. We need to find a way to take that emotion with us on the road.

every team plays better and with more emotion at home. Thats why it's called home field advantage.