Osborne supports Pederson

Osborne says Pederson has good intentions

BY ELIZABETH MERRILL

WORLD-HERALD STAFF WRITER

W-H Online Edition: NU in Transition

Rep. Tom Osborne isn't taking his name off Nebraska's expansion project out of protest, and the legendary Husker coach isn't voicing any ill will over NU Athletic Director Steve Pederson, either.

One week after Pederson fired Frank Solich, Osborne's hand-picked successor, Osborne and the A.D. had a telephone chat Sunday.

"We had a good conversation," Osborne said, "and I'm absolutely convinced that whatever Steve does, he does it with the best possible intentions in mind. I think he does care about the program and it is his responsibility.

"I understand that, yet at the same time, of course, I look at it from a coach's perspective because I was one for so long and Frank was very important to me."

Osborne was overseas on Nov. 29 when Pederson fired Solich one day after the Huskers wrapped up a 9-3 regular season. Osborne said Pederson didn't consult him on the decision, but conceded that he's been at "arm's length" on the issue.

When Osborne found out Solich was fired, he made a late-night call to the coach.

A month ago, Pederson unveiled plans for a $40 million practice facility, which was named after Osborne and his wife, Nancy. When Solich was fired, there was speculation that Osborne might take his name off the project. Osborne said he wouldn't want to do anything to hurt the program.

This is good to see of course, but realize that it would be way out of character for Oz to protest something like this. He is not a confrontational type of person by nature, and wants whats best for the program - and he knows that causing a stir would only hinder things more. Plus after all, he is now a politician, and needs our "support" as well!!