HQW 9: State of The Nation

ericredlogo.gif

--------------------------------------------

Husker Quarterback Weekly #9: State of The Nation

Tue Oct 26, 2004

--------------------------------------------

Just when you thought things couldn’t get any worse…huh??!?!?! I’ve been reeling from the last couple games. We get exactly what we wanted: an average K State team with its backup QB in and a sub-par defense and they blow us out. It’s a little of everyone’s fault. Herian and Ross saw very few touches in that game….that’s friggin’ coaching. NU missed 33 tackles…that’s the damn players. What a ya gonna do??

Things have been said about the coaches, the players and the fans. Coaches tell us it’s their fault, players tells us it’s their fault. And all rightfully so. I could go on forever. It’s all been said though. When you take a step back what’s the one thing you can control? Not the players, or coaches, but yourself, the friggin fan.

Can you believe that I know people this week who aren’t going to the game? They don’t want to see “a loser.” “Team isn’t playing hard,” “Going through the motions,” “What’s the point, they’re gonna lose.” I don’t know about you, but I wait all year to see the Huskers play. We get to see them half dozen times a year.

The average Husker fan is like a six year old who isn’t getting their way. Crying, bitching, whining, yelling and complaining about each and every little thing. Convinced nothing is their fault, but someone elses. Placing blame on everyone else except themselves. Quit being a Mary. “We” are the only thing we can control. The fan. Go to the god damn game and cheer and be loud and support. Worship every moment you get at Memorial Stadium. Quit your pissing and moaning. Get out there and be seen.

Look, we’re not going to be that good in the wins and losses column. Its obvious we’re in need of some gelling by everyone. But in a year or two we’re going to be laughing at all this, giggling as if we’re on a dope high, patrolling for some late night munchies. We’re not invincible anymore, the quicker we figure that out (again our part), the quicker we can get back to having some fun. Face it, this year, Nebraska is average. I know it’s rough. But suck it up, rub some dirt on it, strap it on and get back in the damn game already.

The change in Husker Nation is more than coaches and schemes. We are in unfamiliar territory and maybe a true test to see if we really are the "greatest fans". It's freakin' easy to be a fan of a winning team, hell, anybody can support a winner. If fan's are dropping, then they are nothing but flippin "wannabes". Face it, many of us have been proud of our knowledge of "Nebraska football", we have known personnel, plays, etc. We don't really know what NU football is, our identity has changed, but our F%#*ing CORE should NEVER CHANGE! Our core is the fans, the pride, the history, and the determination to win, IMO. For years we have won games simply by just showing up (weak schedule), if you deny that than you are kidding yourself. I am a proud fan and have been through good times and bad. Now we need more fans, more than ever. If I am a player or a recruit, and I see a sea of red turn into let's say a lake of red, then yes we are done! I whole heartedly agree with eric. We can't change it right now, so pull up those pampers, quit your whinning, and support our team. Remember, once the pulse is gone, it's dead - WE ARE THE PULSE! Let's encourage and inspire OUR team like never before! GBR!!!

We are far from average. According to pederson last year we were below average to average at 10-3. This year we plain as suck and probs won't make a bowl.

Man you really need to get a hug. I will ask you this again, Who did we beat last year? You are a broken record. You're probably that unsatisfied guy that sits behind me at the games. Anyway GO BIG RED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Bring on Mizzou.

The change in Husker Nation is more than coaches and schemes. We are in unfamiliar territory and maybe a true test to see if we really are the "greatest fans". It's freakin' easy to be a fan of a winning team, hell, anybody can support a winner. If fan's are dropping, then they are nothing but flippin "wannabes". Face it, many of us have been proud of our knowledge of "Nebraska football", we have known personnel, plays, etc. We don't really know what NU football is, our identity has changed, but our F%#*ing CORE should NEVER CHANGE! Our core is the fans, the pride, the history, and the determination to win, IMO. For years we have won games simply by just showing up (weak schedule), if you deny that than you are kidding yourself. I am a proud fan and have been through good times and bad. Now we need more fans, more than ever. If I am a player or a recruit, and I see a sea of red turn into let's say a lake of red, then yes we are done! I whole heartedly agree with eric. We can't change it right now, so pull up those pampers, quit your whinning, and support our team. Remember, once the pulse is gone, it's dead - WE ARE THE PULSE! Let's encourage and inspire OUR team like never before! GBR!!!

Amen, brotha

I think the defense turned a corner,

I still look at this team and I am amazed at how young they are, I do not think they need McBride every week but this was the perfect time for some old timers to remind them of what that N on their helmet stands for.

I really like Joe Daily but I am starting to think his days are numbered, it is too bad good kid just set up to fail.