Defensive Adjustment

Valentine

This is just my opinion but I believe our players should play with more attitude and fire. I understand our coaches control the play calling but the players control how they play! I watched LSU's D and they play with a certain tenacity. They were hype after every play. Bangin bodies and helmets like animals. I believe our players should get nastier! Being in Tennesse, I get to watch Vanden Bosch practice and play every week! Vanden Bosch is the talk of the town here. They say he plays like he has a motor that's non stop. VB is pumped every down. I am gonna put this into one of our player's ears and see what he thinks.

This is just my opinion but I believe our players should play with more attitude and fire. I understand our coaches control the play calling but the players control how they play! I watched LSU's D and they play with a certain tenacity. They were hype after every play. Bangin bodies and helmets like animals. I believe our players should get nastier! Being in Tennesse, I get to watch Vanden Bosch practice and play every week! Vanden Bosch is the talk of the town here. They say he plays like he has a motor that's non stop. VB is pumped every down. I am gonna put this into one of our player's ears and see what he thinks.

Great point. My take is this --- it is tough to play with fire when the scheme and assignments are complicated and one is thinking rather than reacting. If your mind is absorbed with "am I in the right spot? What is my assignment here?" then the fire and intensity will be down. Watch the Husker "d" prior to many snaps --- confusion is an issue on many plays. A confused defence will not play with fire.

Coaches enable athletes to play with fire by placing the player in a context where they have simple assignments and can focus in on execution of the play (with intensity) rather than execution of the assignment.

Simple is always better as regards defensive schemes. When Pelini was here there were simple assignments and much fire. Now he is at LSU (they, of course, have better athletes to execute their plays than does NU, but still) --- and LSU has fire.

Great point. My take is this --- it is tough to play with fire when the scheme and assignments are complicated and one is thinking rather than reacting. If your mind is absorbed with "am I in the right spot? What is my assignment here?" then the fire and intensity will be down. Watch the Husker "d" prior to many snaps --- confusion is an issue on many plays. A confused defence will not play with fire.

Coaches enable athletes to play with fire by placing the player in a context where they have simple assignments and can focus in on execution of the play (with intensity) rather than execution of the assignment.

Simple is always better as regards defensive schemes. When Pelini was here there were simple assignments and much fire. Now he is at LSU (they, of course, have better athletes to execute their plays than does NU, but still) --- and LSU has fire.

so you think after all this time here, Cos doesn't have his sh#t together, YET??

i will say one thing and that is when Pelini was here he had the defensive kids asses FIRED UP!! :woo

sorry rob, i read your post after i made mine above, duplication of thought processes........we agree!

I miss Bo. <_<

:yeah

I REALLY miss Bo. He is one of the top 2 or 3 defensive coordinators in the country, wish we still had him.

He was a good def. coord., but how would he have been as a head coach?

My guess is you will find out next year. With as bad as some "storied" programs have looked so far this year, I'm guessing Pelini gets his HC job next year. I'm betting he's picked up by Michigan.

You can't have your cake and eat it to. Bo was not going to stay at Nebraska unless he was the HC. I think the state or at least the NU fans at least wouldn't have been as split as they are now if he'd have been given the HC job. However, Pud decided to go another direction. Pelini's been involved in some pretty decent programs over the last few years (NU, OU, and now LSU). I'm guessing he's very well prepared to step in somewhere as a HC. He did have players fired up while he was at NU. It's naive to think as a HC that he won't have the whole team fired up to play.

I miss Bo. <_<

I REALLY miss Bo. He is one of the top 2 or 3 defensive coordinators in the country, wish we still had him.

My guess is you will find out next year. With as bad as some "storied" programs have looked so far this year, I'm guessing Pelini gets his HC job next year. I'm betting he's picked up by Michigan.

You can't have your cake and eat it to. Bo was not going to stay at Nebraska unless he was the HC. I think the state or at least the NU fans at least wouldn't have been as split as they are now if he'd have been given the HC job. However, Pud decided to go another direction. Pelini's been involved in some pretty decent programs over the last few years (NU, OU, and now LSU). I'm guessing he's very well prepared to step in somewhere as a HC. He did have players fired up while he was at NU. It's naive to think as a HC that he won't have the whole team fired up to play.

I dont know if he was ready for the HC job when he was here, but he is now, and Michigan will benefit greatly.

I miss Bo. <_<

I dont know if he was ready for the HC job when he was here, but he is now, and Michigan will benefit greatly.

Michigan won't take him, but Arizona might, if Mike Stoops lays another egg this season.

I miss Bo. <_<

Michigan won't take him, but Arizona might, if Mike Stoops lays another egg this season.

Well we will probably find out sooner rather than later. :lol:

I miss Bo. <_<

I don't think Michigan would take an Def Cord as their headcoach my guess it would have to a big name College coach or NFL. That being said I bet Chiznek smacking himself in the head for leaving Texas for Iowa St when he could have been mentioned for the Michigan gig.