We are Nebraska!!

N Bug

All week all I have been hearing is what we have to do to beat USC. How can we compete with the mighty dynasty from out west. How can we make the tunnel walk louder, how can we make Kirk Herbstrete look like an idiot on national television? How can we payback ESPN for disrespecting us.? How can the stadium be louder? Quite frankly, I am sick of it!!! Hear me out.

We are Nebraska!!! We are Nebraska!!! We are the standard for excellence that other measure themselves by. Instead of asking what do we have to do to beat USC, we need to ask, WHAT IS USC GOING TO HAVE TO DO TO BEAT US!!!!!!!!!!!!!????? Damn it, We are Nebraska!!!! We need to take the field with a confident swagger. With the attitude that we are going to win. That we are going to play near mistake free football. That each player will be giving 100% effort on every play. That our receivers will be blocking 20 yards downfield on an off tackle dive; just in case he breaks free!!! That a Nebraska walk on will be busting someone up a kickoff coverage even though the kick is out of the endzone.

The crowd will be insane when needed not because someone pleaded for it, but because it is what we do. We are Nebraska!!!! We were the first to pack 15,000 in for ESPN Game Day, we have always packed it in for a Spring Game. We will astonish visitors stadiums with the amout red. This is who we are!!! It is not our place to wonder how we will compete. It is some other schools job to wonder how in the world will be ever be like Nebraska.

I seem to remember someone writing a song about it. THERE IS NO PLACE LIKE NEBRASKA!!!!!

I don't care how good USC is supposed to be. I don't care if they have more 5 star recruits. I don't care if ESPN doesn't respect us. In 1995 when we had the greatest college football team ever assembled, Lee Corso didn't think we could compete with Florida. If they didn't respect that team, there is now way in the world they will ever throw us a bone. Let them take their shots at us. We will continue to win, we will continue to support our team "through all kind of weather". They don't have to get it. They are idiots!!! Screw them if they don't like us. If you don't like Mark May, turn the channel. Throw in a copy of an old Husker game. Listen to Kent Pavelka's call of Tommie's run in the Fiesta Bowl. That's what we do. We love our Huskers. Fly your Husker flag, wear your red, put on your corncob hat. We are Nebraska. We are the standard.

GO BIG RED

I like the jist of your post. It reminded me of the old Florida St vs Miami games. Everyone always said that Miami won because they EXPECTED TO WIN, while Florida State HOPED TO WIN.

Attitude is H U G E ! ! ! I hope the 'Skers believe in themselves. We sure do. GO BIG RED!

Wear Red,

Be Loud! ! ! !

All week all I have been hearing is what we have to do to beat USC. How can we compete with the mighty dynasty from out west. How can we make the tunnel walk louder, how can we make Kirk Herbstrete look like an idiot on national television? How can we payback ESPN for disrespecting us.? How can the stadium be louder? Quite frankly, I am sick of it!!! Hear me out.

We are Nebraska!!! We are Nebraska!!! We are the standard for excellence that other measure themselves by. Instead of asking what do we have to do to beat USC, we need to ask, WHAT IS USC GOING TO HAVE TO DO TO BEAT US!!!!!!!!!!!!!????? Damn it, We are Nebraska!!!! We need to take the field with a confident swagger. With the attitude that we are going to win. That we are going to play near mistake free football. That each player will be giving 100% effort on every play. That our receivers will be blocking 20 yards downfield on an off tackle dive; just in case he breaks free!!! That a Nebraska walk on will be busting someone up a kickoff coverage even though the kick is out of the endzone.

The crowd will be insane when needed not because someone pleaded for it, but because it is what we do. We are Nebraska!!!! We were the first to pack 15,000 in for ESPN Game Day, we have always packed it in for a Spring Game. We will astonish visitors stadiums with the amout red. This is who we are!!! It is not our place to wonder how we will compete. It is some other schools job to wonder how in the world will be ever be like Nebraska.

I seem to remember someone writing a song about it. THERE IS NO PLACE LIKE NEBRASKA!!!!!

I don't care how good USC is supposed to be. I don't care if they have more 5 star recruits. I don't care if ESPN doesn't respect us. In 1995 when we had the greatest college football team ever assembled, Lee Corso didn't think we could compete with Florida. If they didn't respect that team, there is now way in the world they will ever throw us a bone. Let them take their shots at us. We will continue to win, we will continue to support our team "through all kind of weather". They don't have to get it. They are idiots!!! Screw them if they don't like us. If you don't like Mark May, turn the channel. Throw in a copy of an old Husker game. Listen to Kent Pavelka's call of Tommie's run in the Fiesta Bowl. That's what we do. We love our Huskers. Fly your Husker flag, wear your red, put on your corncob hat. We are Nebraska. We are the standard.

GO BIG RED

:clap:clap:clap

I love your thoughts and ideas,

But this attitude is just what got us into this tub of poop we are in.

Frankie felt exactly the same way.

We are not the standard for college football now. Accept it and moving forward becomes easier.

BC will get us there, but this type of preasure only makes it worse in my opinion. We can win this game, but it will take a lot of luck and a very noisey stadium from start to finish, even if there are some down times.

We are not the standard for college football now. Accept it and moving forward becomes easier.

BC will get us there, but this type of preasure only makes it worse in my opinion. We can win this game, but it will take a lot of luck and a very noisey stadium from start to finish, even if there are some down times.

Right or wrong, for players that mentality can make all the difference. When you simply EXPECT perfection from yourself, you don't play timidly. Keller's going to lob that ball downfield and he's going to KNOW that MoPure has got it. Why? Because he's f'ing Sam Keller throwing it to f'ing Mo Purify. In Nebraska, we catch the damn ball.

Compare that with the attidude of: "Ho jeez, I really hope we can get a first down here. Boy golly, it sure would be a bummer if we didn't. Hope the O-line blocks. Hope I don't get hit by a 235 lb LB from my blindside. Sure hope Mo is looking. Sure hope I don't throw an INT––coach would be pissed, bad for the morale. Fan base would feel crummy. But if he catches it, boy, that would be swell."

You gotta play like you couldn't lose. Condidence breeds confidence. Our whole team needs to go out there with foaming smiles and a maniacle gleam in their eyes. The Trojans have to know that gents, we're coming right at you. Wait 'til you get a load of me. I'll take my chances with a team that believes in themselves. God knows the fans believe in them, and the whole country is pulling for Husker Nation.

GBR!

:bonez And USC must be razed to the ground. :bonez

I understand the team Idea.

But the fans have no part in the game. WE are there to support our team however they do.

But blindly believeing that just be cause our name spells Nebraska makes us the winner is what put us in the situation we are in.

We have to pull our selve up and admitting we are down is the first step. The Athletic department realized it 4 years ago. It is time some of our fans understand the problem and accept it is a long road back.

We may win this game, God I hope so, because if we lose I have to wear a Tommy Trojan outfit to work on Monday. That is basically a dress. And I am willing to make that bet because I believe in this coach. But I understand where we are at and what it takes to get where we want to be. Just saying it does not make it so.

Yes at this time WE are Nebraska.

Close but not the top of college football.

But we are working our way back, and to me that is the most important part of the story.

Skersfan:

You are spot on.

NU is not the standard anymore. This is a "what have you done for me lately" world and NU has been an afterthought for years, at best. Heck, if you are out of state and walk into Walmart and look at the hat collection you will see OU, Miami, FSU, Mich, Ohio State, LSU, ND, USC, Texas Penn State hats ---- no NU hats anymore. The Huskers have been gone too long to be anything other than... well like Alabama --- a storied past and a spotty present with a great fan base and the hopeful expectation of retuning to some shadow (or more) of the past.

That said, NU is, in my view, the pinnicle of college sports in terms of fan spirit and emphasis on thier team. And yes the University is wonderful, Lincoln is a great city and the state and their people are awesome. There is no place like nebraska. We know that --- but most of the nation does not.

So like Skersfan I say don't make this game define the program --- that is too much pressure on this team. This is a fringe top 20 team against #1. NU is heading in the right direction and is going places --- but in no way can they contend with #1 --- not now. Expect a noble fight and great heart from the NU kids but do not expect victory. It might happen, but do not place such expectation on them. You are setting them (and yourselves) up for a fall. This is not a defining game. It is a non-conference game that matters little in the B12 North.

Go Big Red! Cheer them on before and after this game --- win or lose. That is what defines NU football.

GO BIG RED

Excellent post!

I'm tired of the crying about ESPN and what we can do to dis Herbstreit, etc. Who cares what they think?

Go Big Red!

It brought a tear to my eye! But so does the tunnel walk...no matter how may times I have seen it!! I think that the team and fans need to have confidence to win and I am sure that they have been practicing harder then ever this week to help make that happen! I for one, will be yelling my head off on Saturday along with 85000 of my closest friends to help cheer the team on! I think that since WE ARE NEBRASKA all fans should do the same!! That is our mission this week! Support the team and cheer our heads off!!!

GOOOO BBBBIIIIIGGGG RRRREEEEEDDDDD!!! GO BIG RED!