Nice Defensive scheme Coz....

Coaches are supposed to teach players to tackle. What the F**k is McKeon doing trying to strip the ball when we had SC on their own four yard line early in the game. That is taught by the coaches. And designing stunts and teaching players to fill gaps and attack the ball carrier, and blitz packages where the right players are in the right places is also a coaches job.

I am getting sick of people apologizing for this guy. He had us looking horrible against the run when we played WF, and tonight, USC just exploited the hell out of that. They kept showing the end around, and even when they didn't run it, our players were always out of position. The tackling was bad, but many times the arm tackling was a result of a guy trying to dive at a ball carrier that was out of reach DUE TO A BAD SCHEME. These are all Cosgrove and Callahan's players now(except for red shirt seniors). You can't blame the former coaching staff any longer. Defensive coordinating like this got Craig Bohl fired, why is Coz untouchable? He needs to go NOW!!!

While I will admit that coaches have some responsibiltiy in teaching the fundamentals such as tackling, persuit angles, staying at home, over persuit ...etc etc etc.............you still have not shown me or anyone else how the SCHEME of the D was bad. If the coaches bare some responsibiltiy, its in the fundamentals however, there comes a point where individual player responsibiltity takes over.

Am I the only one that thinks Callahan had our offense playing pretty damn well? We put 31 points up on USC's defense.. what is their defense ranked 2-3?? something like that? Our defense getting beat for 10-20 yards every time USC ran the ball eventually became extremely disheartening and the result is the end of the 2nd and all of the 3rd quarter.

Everyone knew that we wouldn't be able to hang with USC in a shootout. Bottom line is... if our Defense had held them to under let's say 28 points, we would have had a damn good shot.

The horrible tackling, the overcommitting, the defensive schemes in general all point to BAD DEFENSIVE COACHING. Get rid of Cozgroovy now! And Wyatt! Whatever, our secondary played well.. that's about the only good thing I can say about our defense. Cosgrove&Co. have done a HUGE disservice to this young kids.. especially the D-line and linebackers. These were 3-4star guys, and he turned them in to putzes. Our defense is an embaressment, and Coz has had 4 years to work with our defense.. and he turned it into a laughing stock.

I could rant all day, I'm sure most of you agree.

I realize that I'm nobody, and I know nothing. These guys that we have coaching at Nebraska know more about football than any of us will ever understand, despite what we all may think of ourselves. That being said, I did feel tonight, and I do continue to feel, that our inability to adjust on defense is going to keep us from being an elite team. Several of you have pointed this out already. Look, for example, at the play where USC ran a guy in motion across the formation and then gave it to the lone setback in the B-gap. That play should not have worked in the 2nd half in my opinion. They torched us with it in the first, but we should have adjusted. I have yet to see that adjustment from Cosgrove.

One other point needs to be made, though. If you line up every starter from NU and USC by position, and you had some sort of fantasy draft, who would you draft from NU ahead of a USC player at the same position? You can blame the coaching staff if you want for this, but USC is better than we are. Time to move on, get a win next week, get a conference title and go from there.

Coaches are supposed to teach players to tackle. What the F**k is McKeon doing trying to strip the ball when we had SC on their own four yard line early in the game. That is taught by the coaches. And designing stunts and teaching players to fill gaps and attack the ball carrier, and blitz packages where the right players are in the right places is also a coaches job.

I am getting sick of people apologizing for this guy. He had us looking horrible against the run when we played WF, and tonight, USC just exploited the hell out of that. They kept showing the end around, and even when they didn't run it, our players were always out of position. The tackling was bad, but many times the arm tackling was a result of a guy trying to dive at a ball carrier that was out of reach DUE TO A BAD SCHEME. These are all Cosgrove and Callahan's players now(except for red shirt seniors). You can't blame the former coaching staff any longer. Defensive coordinating like this got Craig Bohl fired, why is Coz untouchable? He needs to go NOW!!!

While I will admit that coaches have some responsibiltiy in teaching the fundamentals such as tackling, persuit angles, staying at home, over persuit ...etc etc etc.............you still have not shown me or anyone else how the SCHEME of the D was bad. If the coaches bare some responsibiltiy, its in the fundamentals however, there comes a point where individual player responsibiltity takes over.

What part of it was good? The blitzing was ill-timed, the coverages left huge holes, when players (who were not very well prepared) were beat at the line, the next level was out of position. Must I go on? It was a bad defensive scheme. You add that to the pathetic fundamentals, and the result was that USC hung nearly half-a-hundred on us.

One other point needs to be made, though. If you line up every starter from NU and USC by position, and you had some sort of fantasy draft, who would you draft from NU ahead of a USC player at the same position? You can blame the coaching staff if you want for this, but USC is better than we are. Time to move on, get a win next week, get a conference title and go from there.

Well, I would take Keller over Booty, Lucky and Glen over any of the SC running backs, I would take Murtha, Slausen, and Byford before the SC players in those positions, I would take Purify over any of their receivers, I would take Suh and Zach Bownan, and Octavian.

I guess my point is this...I am tired of people blaming the players. It is ALL on the coaches at this point.

Well, I would take Keller over Booty, Lucky and Glen over any of the SC running backs, I would take Murtha, Slausen, and Byford before the SC players in those positions, I would take Purify over any of their receivers, I would take Suh and Zach Bownan, and Octavian.

I guess my point is this...I am tired of people blaming the players. It is ALL on the coaches at this point.

I wouldn't agree entirely with that. Keller proved tonight that he can play under pressure, and I like that. I agree that the defense looks bad because they're coached badly. As for Lucky and Glenn... I'm not letting them off the hook because they're seniors. Lucky still can't find the holes in the defensive line to run through, and Glenn would be fine if he didn't get injured so often. I personally would rather see Castille and Colbert in there by the end of the year. I do think it's time to give the new aspiring recruits a chance to shine... they couldn't have done worse than Lucky and Glenn tonight.

I wouldn't agree entirely with that. Keller proved tonight that he can play under pressure, and I like that. I agree that the defense looks bad because they're coached badly. As for Lucky and Glenn... I'm not letting them off the hook because they're seniors. Lucky still can't find the holes in the defensive line to run through, and Glenn would be fine if he didn't get injured so often. I personally would rather see Castille and Colbert in there by the end of the year. I do think it's time to give the new aspiring recruits a chance to shine... they couldn't have done worse than Lucky and Glenn tonight.

Not sure if I would take these guys over SC's, did you see what went on in the trenches tonight?

Lucky and Glenn are Juniors not seniors. Backs dont gain yards unless they have SOME blocking, Lucky and Glenn were getting blasted before they could even get started. The OL pissed the running game down thier leg.