Answer These Questions....

foote_21

My take on Turner is that he was a very quick and explosive freshman at ca. 240 pounds. As a sophomore they had him beef up to 255 or so and his quickness was reduced. Now, at 270, on film he no longer looks quick and is seemingly of average quickness. So, the staff, in making him large have, in effect, taken away the very thing upon which his sucess was based --- an explosive first step.

It could be that he is no longer quick because of an unspecified injury or something. What is certain is that that great explosion off the edge is nowhere to be seen. I would again assert that this is because he is 25 pounds (or more) heavier than when he was explosive.

I've considered this, but I also thought he probably put on 25 pounds of muscle... and I would assume he would be stronger and quicker.... possibly it's some injury we never heard about that is still holding him back.

Even muscle slows you down (or at least most of us). years ago I was a competitive raquetball player, and a lifter. I got to a point where i added 15 pounds of muscle (to a small body -- from 160 -175 pounds). when I did this my racquetball game suffered badly --- both quickness and flexability were really reduced. of course, I was a poor athlete to begin with. But the point is that even adding pure muscle can reduce quickness and flexability. Fat, I am sure would be worse --- but bulk is bulk.

Everytime Turner chases down a QB he does so with a 25 pound sandbag (fat or muscle, matters not) on his back.

My take on Turner is that he was a very quick and explosive freshman at ca. 240 pounds. As a sophomore they had him beef up to 255 or so and his quickness was reduced. Now, at 270, on film he no longer looks quick and is seemingly of average quickness. So, the staff, in making him large have, in effect, taken away the very thing upon which his sucess was based --- an explosive first step.

It could be that he is no longer quick because of an unspecified injury or something. What is certain is that that great explosion off the edge is nowhere to be seen. I would again assert that this is because he is 25 pounds (or more) heavier than when he was explosive.

I've considered this, but I also thought he probably put on 25 pounds of muscle... and I would assume he would be stronger and quicker.... possibly it's some injury we never heard about that is still holding him back.

Even muscle slows you down (or at least most of us). years ago I was a competitive raquetball player, and a lifter. I got to a point where i added 15 pounds of muscle (to a small body -- from 160 -175 pounds). when I did this my racquetball game suffered badly --- both quickness and flexability were really reduced. of course, I was a poor athlete to begin with. But the point is that even adding pure muscle can reduce quickness and flexability. Fat, I am sure would be worse --- but bulk is bulk.

Everytime Turner chases down a QB he does so with a 25 pound sandbag (fat or muscle, matters not) on his back.

Replying to my own post ---

I think this is a problem with Phillip Dillard and Bo Ruud as well. Both guys are much bigger than they were several years back. both are much less quick as well. Dillard is still quick --- but I surmise that if he were to drop 10 pounds back to where he was he would be quicker still.

depends on were that weight was put on. where are the largest muscles in the body?

the chest, shoulders, legs, and ass.

if you put on 25 lbs in the upper body, you have to be slower because your legs that were the same size as before are now carrying more weight, which leads to quicker and easier fatigue.

next question......where does your explosiveness and quickness come from?

thats right your legs and ass muscles. I hope that S&C coaches have been monitoring these players and making sure that the weight that is being added is being added in a balanced way....kind of like needing a balanced offense

I'd love to see what people have for answers to these questions...

1) Why is Purify not starting?

2) How has Barry Turner gotten worse every year?

3) Why does Ricky Thenarse not see the field beside special teams?

4) How is Sam Keller not a captain?

5) How many days until Coz is packing his bags?

1. I bet he does from here on out. It did seem they made a point to get him the ball during USC beating.

2. Surrounding talent I think.

3. In time he will. I guess he doesn't know where he is supposed to be (of course neither do our linebackers, but thats a differnt story).

4. Not sure. Regardless of title he is certainly the leader of the offense.

5. I try not to be part of the "lets fire the coaches" rabble but I wouldn't be upset if he were relieved of his duties after this year. There are some post saying that it isn't coaching but the players that don't execute that are the problem. At some point missed assignments, poor tackling, bad angles does have to go back to coaching.

Can anyone think of a time when a college coach was fired mid-season? I can't come up with any. I can think of post-season pre-bowlm game changes but no mid season ones.