new record

Benard

I seen it on sportscenter. Crazy!

Dana Football Coach Bill Danenhauer wasn't getting any work done Monday.

He was too busy answering the phone. Calls from MSNBC, ESPN and most of the area media.

Everyone wanted to talk to Viking quarterback Tom Lensch, a 5-foot-11 sophomore from David City who threw 101 passes Saturday in a 60-35 loss to Hastings College.

"It's been unbelievable," Danenhauer said.

That's what everybody has been saying about Lensch's performance, too. He completed 56 of those collegiate-record 101 attempts to finish with 507 yards.

He broke the NAIA record of 92 attempts by Paul Gray of Hanover, Ind., against Georgetown, Ky., in 1991. The NCAA record is 82 attempts by Purdue's Drew Brees against Wisconsin in 1998.

He leads the NAIA's individual total offense statistics with an average of 317.9 yards per game. He has 2,861 yards of total offense this season.

Lensch said he's thrown as many as 60 passes in a game, but he didn't know he'd reached the century mark until he got the news from his roommate Saturday night. Now, he's the big news on campus.

more here

I agree. I don't see why he's getting alot of positive publicity. So he threw it alot. He only completed half of them and averaged under 10 yards a pass or around there.

To me it's the equivelent of a basketball team getting a record for most 3 pt attempts in a game. It don't matter how many they make, just get them up.

It was a publicity stunt by them to get their name out, I guess it worked.