What constitutes a "successful" season for the remiainder of the year?

Beat Texas, Win the Big 12 and/or bowl game. I dont think it is inconceivable for us to win the rest of our games. I think our offense is going to put up big time numbers, we may get in some track meets but i think we have the offense to win track meets.

OU has looked very good they still haven't played anybody (Miami hasn't been very good lately), so winning the Big 12 seems possible at this point. GO BIG RED

Miami looked good last night against aTm...I dare say aTm's run defense is worse than ours...

Success=winning out the rest of the regular season and either winning the Big XII or winning our bowl game (or both would be even better)= 12-2

Not to sound too mean, but how many of these threads are we going to have? It's the same question, same answer and same people arguingabout it.

I guess I'm not up on the board much - I just started this thread because all I've seen is complaining about the USC game (me included). So I thought, well, we lost, let's decided what we would consider successful from here on out. Where are any other threads like this?

I would be shocked happy if we won 10 games and finished in the top 25. That would constitute success in my book. That is at least some progress.

I wonder what is it considered if we win 9 or less????

We got 4 more to lose

Not if we don't win the north. We can lose the north and then we only play 13 games. That means only 3 more losses. TX, Mizzou and a bowl game. Not out of the realm of possibility. But definitely unacceptable.

"We will not surrender the Big 12 Conference to Oklahoma and Texas."

No, it's okay to lose to them when they're better. That's fine. The point of that comment was really, "We will not surrender the big 12 Conference to Oklahoma and Texas if they aren't very good that year." It wasn't about making NU better, it was about waiting for OU and UT to be worse. Oh, he should have thrown "Kansas" and "Baylor" in there, too.

Are you kidding me? So you're saying that if Texas and Oklahoma both suck for some reason, then it's okay to lose to A&M or Tech? No. It means reversing the trend. Instead of Texas and Oklahoma being the teams to beat in the Big 12, it goes back to what it used to be, Nebraska being the team to beat.

And good lord people... have you seen our defense? And most of you are expecting to win at Texas? Some of you are talking about winning out? Apparently you guys have not been watching the same "blackshirts" i have the past couple weeks. If we can barely squeak by Wake Forest, most of our Big 12 north games are going to be, at best, a tossup. Even though A&M got blown out by Miami, they still have a killer running game, if our run defense doesn't get drastically better, they will run the ball all over the place. Going to texas is going to be a huge task.

My prediction? 8-5 or 9-4 with no Big 12 Champ game. Losses to USC, Mizzou, Texas, possibly A&M, and bowl game.

No, it's okay to lose to them when they're better. That's fine. The point of that comment was really, "We will not surrender the big 12 Conference to Oklahoma and Texas if they aren't very good that year." It wasn't about making NU better, it was about waiting for OU and UT to be worse. Oh, he should have thrown "Kansas" and "Baylor" in there, too.

Are you kidding me? So you're saying that if Texas and Oklahoma both suck for some reason, then it's okay to lose to A&M or Tech? No. It means reversing the trend. Instead of Texas and Oklahoma being the teams to beat in the Big 12, it goes back to what it used to be, Nebraska being the team to beat.

And good lord people... have you seen our defense? And most of you are expecting to win at Texas? Some of you are talking about winning out? Apparently you guys have not been watching the same "blackshirts" i have the past couple weeks. If we can barely squeak by Wake Forest, most of our Big 12 north games are going to be, at best, a tossup. Even though A&M got blown out by Miami, they still have a killer running game, if our run defense doesn't get drastically better, they will run the ball all over the place. Going to texas is going to be a huge task.

My prediction? 8-5 or 9-4 with no Big 12 Champ game. Losses to USC, Mizzou, Texas, possibly A&M, and bowl game.

I agree that's definitely in the cards considering how our defense played last week and might be likely. But, the question was:

What would constitute a successful season?

Are you telling me that if we go 8-5 or 9-4 you will consider that success? I agree it's a distinct possibility and maybe even likely, but I wouldn't consider it success! My expectations aren't that low!

As much as I would like to play the role of the blind fan and say we're going to win out, I would say this guys prediction is pretty legit. Understood that we got rolled up by the #1 team in the country, but we weren't even competitive. I'm not sure how that equates to beating Texas in Austin or beating OU in the Big XII championship game. I hope it happens, but realistically it's probably a stretch. :cheers

This guys full of crap.

Uhmm, watch the game today? My 8-5, 9-4 looks pretty optimistic right now.. but i'm still sticking with it.

I agree that's definitely in the cards considering how our defense played last week and might be likely. But, the question was:

What would constitute a successful season?

Are you telling me that if we go 8-5 or 9-4 you will consider that success? I agree it's a distinct possibility and maybe even likely, but I wouldn't consider it success! My expectations aren't that low!

No, sorry was a bit off topic. I would consider winning the North, competing well or winning both the Big 12 Champ game and Bowl Game.

As much as I would like to play the role of the blind fan and say we're going to win out, I would say this guys prediction is pretty legit. Understood that we got rolled up by the #1 team in the country, but we weren't even competitive. I'm not sure how that equates to beating Texas in Austin or beating OU in the Big XII championship game. I hope it happens, but realistically it's probably a stretch. :cheers

Thank you, now hopefully the rest of you finally saw this week what I saw two weeks ago.

I think we all saw the same thing, but at least for me, I was willing to give the defense the benefit of the doubt against Wake. On the road, nasty humid crap, maybe a little overconfident, etc. After USC, though, there were just too many problems to realistically think the defense wasn't in trouble. However, I had hoped they might take the beatdown to heart and find a way to at least eek out a mediocre defense for the rest of the season. Obviously not.